Where to place GPS puck.......

• Thread starter Avery Gilliland2
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avery Gilliland2

Reaction score
Just bought an Eagle 640c, where is the best place to mount the GPS puck on a Nitro 591. Thanks for the help. Gilly :)

I mounted mine on a RAM and RAM puck holder. Didn't want to make any more holes in my hull.

I see alot of guys mount them behind the drivers seat on the rear deck.

I put mine just infront of the fish finder on the side of the console. I've also seen what Tee mentioned, behind the drivers seat on the gunwale. What I do like is the new Humminbirds with internal GPS antennas! I got my 798cSI before they came out with the internal, would love to not have to mount or drill holes!

Trep

You can mount them below deck too. Just make sure there isnt any metal in the way. The puck will get signals through fiberglass with no degredation of performance.

Be careful about mounting them below deck. They are supposed to have an unobstructed view of the sky. Mine was mounted below the back deck and didn't have any problems for over a year. I started having problems losing signal at the Stren championship last year and when I went to the Lowrance trailer they told me that as the pucks age they lose strength and will have a harder time getting signal.

Losing strength with age???? Now thats a new one!

A bunch of the walleye guys have been doing this for years, some of the bass guys are starting too.

The biggest thing to remember is to make sure it is ONLY looking through fiberglass. Any metal, wood or composite will jack the signal bad.

Personally I always recommend that it is mounted in plain view of the sky.

I thought it sounded kind of funny, but I moved it outside the boat, and it started working fine again.

I had the one for my LMS 332c mounted under deck on my 882 for years. Not only was it under deck it was mounted on velcro the whole time too. I never had a single issue with it.

On my Z7 i mounted it near the console. It works just dandy where i have it and where it is it does not get in the way of anything. It also made the cables really easy to run. Here is a picture of what i did.

Z7 Dash 018.JPG

Latest posts

Back