What is a cold front?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
For much of June and all of July Oklahoma has had high temps above 100 nearly everyday and no rain. Yesterday winds shifted from south to northerly bringing in a "cold front". This morning I awake to rain (first thought is I forgot to cover the boat) with forcast high today 92. My question is how will this affect the fishing? Will the bass see going from 105 to 92 as a good thing and get active like a fall pattern or clamp down like a spring cold front?

Harpo

I would bet fishing before the front would be your best bet, and maybe fishing when it first blows through. But I would imagine it the front will only cause about a 1 delay in normal fishing patterns for this time of year. Thats what I have seen down here in Texas with the few "Cool Fronts" we get in the summer time. Its all about the change in pressure.

Barometric Pressure.......That is the determining factor. The actual Temprature is not the only factor. Fish kick into "fall" mode or any other seasonal mode due to the changes in daylight, lunar schedules, temp., etc. Fish normally, it usually takes a couple of days (2-4) for temprature alone to affect them. Check the pressure though. That is a faster change maker. A "front" is a change in pressure.

TOXIC

What is a cold front????? Welllll, let me tell you about my first wife............

A cold front is everyfisherman's excuse... one way or the other...

if the fishing was good you got there "before the cold front"...

If the fishing sucks..."the cold front must come thru early!"

Oh well....

Latest posts

Back