Weight Distribution in Boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Lambeth

Reaction score
I've heard that uneven weight distribution may have an effect on the performance of a boat. A lot of times when I fish I am by myself. I notice that, when in the boat alone, the boat sags on the right side, especially when going idle speed. My gear, anchor, and two of the three batteries are on the left side of the boat. I weight about 190 lbs. Do any of you have any tricks to even out the weight of a boat when 1 person is in it?

Does this effect the performance of a boat? I own an 882 with a 150 opti. The boat starts to chine walk after about 5400 RPM. I am wondering if this has anything to do with it.

When you have a passenger does the boat ride level? If so, I would think you need more weight on the left side or in the rear of the boat.

Is your fuel tank centerline or more to the stbd side?

I have the NX750 115 hp and it floats about as level as it gets.My center bow storage has all my tackle plus my anchor/rope,I divide my rods into the two rod boxes and each also has boat bumpers/vest and throwables.Two trolling batteries on the passenger rear and the storage on that side hs rod holders and whatever stuff my passenger brings.Cranking battery is on drivers side rear and the storage compartment for that side has raingear,low pedistel post,dig. scale extra clothes.Under my seat storage has boat papers,extra soft plastics,clothes,passenger seat storage/(cooler),and I use that term loosely,has a drift sock in it.Weight is fairly evenly distributed,rides level at idle or on plane.

Does the boat list to one side when on plane?

My 882 leans to one side when im alone too. but ones im up and running it levels out. You may waht to play with the weight some to see if it helps. Try moveing some weightto the rear and see if you can get the rear planted a little better. That may help the chine walk. Mine dosent walk unless i have less then a a half a tank of gas then it starts a little.

Back