Waterproofing Clothing?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Walker

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a product I can use to waterproof a pair of insulated bibs with, I seem to remember a product advertised on the TV that you just submerge the garment in and let it dry. Any suggestions thanks

Ed

Ed,

There are a variety of wash-in products available. I've had pretty good success with my alpine ski-wear (waterproof, breathable stuff) using products by NikWax. They have a variety of products, including wash-in stuff like TX Direct, that will help provide water repellency to outerwear. Their website has a lot more info, including where to buy the stuff. The link is below. The other big name out there (although I haven't used the stuff) is by Granger.

JC

http://www.nikwax-usa.com/

As an aside, if anyone ever wants a quick, down-and-dirty (but temporary) waterproofing treatment, spray your clothes with Scotch Guard. Spray a light coat then allow that first treatment to dry. Then, when it's dry to the touch, hit it again with a slightly heavier coating.

Back when we didn't have money for the latest ski fashions, my brother and I would spray treat our blue jeans with Scotch Guard before we'd go downhill skiing or sledding.

On those days when it's just spitting or misting, and too warm to put on the rainsuit, the stuff is magic.

Back