Upgrade to Circuit Breaker on TV-18

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Zuber

Reaction score
Well, the mighty TV-18 now has an in-line circuit breaker on the trolling motor line. While using the trolling motor yesterday evening, the fuse blew...and, as many of you have experienced, the plastic fuse holders tend to melt when the fuse blows. Actually, my glass fuse didn't just blow, it basically exploded! It was, however, original equipment on a 2000 boat (maybe a periodic maintenace item? replace 3 year old fuses?)...Anyway...I had already purchased a circuit breaker based on advice from this site - (you are all the best!)- I just had not taken the time to install it...Well last night I made the time...I think it only took about 20 minutes. If you've been putting off the installation of a circuit breaker like I did, GO FOR IT - it's a piece of cake!

Question for any users of these breakers: The breaker I installed has the 'automatic temperature reset' feature...meaning it will reset the breaker once it cools down...anyone know about how long the normal cool-down time is?

thanks,

az

So Andy, I have seen this fuse on my TV-18 but had not considered a circuit breaker. Which one did you purchase, and what trolling motor do you have? I have the standard 52 lb Motorguide. Did you do anything special in mounting it? For me, in the Texas heat the cool-down time might be real long so I am guessing you can manually reset it as well.

thanks,

jeffbuss

I don't know the manufacturer of the circuit breaker...

It's a 40 amp...purchased it from my dealer. It's small...maybe 5/8 inch wide and 1 1/4 inch long. I have the standard 12 volt 52lb Motorguide. I did not do anything special when mounting the breaker - just left it in line...the cables were 'short' enough that there was not enough play for it to go anywhere. I did cover the connections with insulators so they could not make contact with anything...

This breaker does NOT have a manual reset...There are others that you can purchase that do, this one was billed as more convenient because it had the 'automatic' reset...

hope that helps,

az

Speaking of circuit breakers, any idea why the 20 amp main fuse on my '93 Tracker 75 keep blowing? It seems to have something to do with the T&T.

Andy, Cool down time will be minimal if it is only a small overload 5-15 seconds. If it is constantly working at the rated level the time may be higher because it and the surrounding area will be hot.

Jethro, Neither breaker will reset as long as it hot or has a dead short. The advantage to the automatic is you don't have to locate it and push the button.

Oldgringo, If you have a binding problem or restriction or holding it at the end of either stroke causing your pump to strain, could be causing it to draw more current that the fuse can hold. I guess you have some tank and pump like an OilDyne mounted in your boat or is it like a CMC with everything in the plate? You need to see if you can borrow a clamp-on ammeter from someone, put it on and then run your T&T thru the stroke and watch the meter to see what the amp draw is at certain places or if it is high all the time.

Thanks, DL. Everything, pump and all is on the transom and it's all is still under warranty. I wonder if one, or both, of the relays could be faulty?

That brings up the question of warranty: the four year extended warranty costs some $900. I'm beginning to think that it might be a good investment for this rig. Any thoughts on the extended warranty?

That is very possible. A moisture or corrosion problem at any contact or termination can cause an increase in current draw. Of course it wouldn't be the first time I have seen things from the factory with the wrong rating of fuse either. If you know what brand it is you might want to check with them for the proper rating and they should also have the normal current draw of the system.

The way my luck is if I buy the ex. warranty nothing happens for 10 years, if I don't the day after it runs out it falls apart.

Good Luck

Back