Two fishermen drown in Potomac this weekend.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim in VA

Reaction score
Hey all:

A sobering reminder about the value of PFD's. Convinced me to switch from my manual inflatable to the automatic ones (I've ordered two from BPS) AND to always hook up to my boat's kill switch when running. The real kicker is these guys were in Smoot's Bay right in the areas that I regularly fish on the Potomac - and its NOT that deep in a lot of spots. You all be safe out there.

FROM WTOP NEWS (local news radio station)

Missing Boaters Found in Potomac, Survivor Out of Hospital

Jun 18th - 6:59am

OXON HILL, Md. - Rescue crews have recovered the bodies of two men who fell overboard from a bass boat Friday night in the Potomac River, near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

The victims were 48-year-old John Walker and 47-year-old William Heislup -- both from Arlington, Virginia.

Maryland Natural Resources Police say the bodies were found around 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, near where their boat was found circling in the water on Friday night with no one on board.

A third man survived.

Forty-three-year-old Raymond Molton, also of Arlington, was pulled from the water on Friday and has since been released from the hospital.

Three boats equipped with "side-scan sonar" were used to find the bodies. The device produces an image of the riverbed.

It's still not clear what caused the men to fall in the water.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

That Potomac is a wounderfull place to fish but one of the most dangerous if anyone runs that river with out a PFD and the kill switch attached are NUTS. I always have mine on I will never forget when I hit a boat wake that I could no see untill to late and got enough prop time to last me a lifetime looking over the bow of the boat was like on a roller coaster just before you go over the big hill you see nothing but the sky.

I think the boat was running in a circle when they found it, even if they had a ladder it would not have done them any good.

Back