Turning the "toon" into a "family ride"

• Thread starter Glenn DesOrmeaux
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
Well, my little fishing buddy is growing up, and he wants to spend more and more time with ol' dad, so it looks like I have to get some wind blockage for him installed in the "toon". I ordered a second console for the passenger side about two weeks ago, and have about another two weeks before it comes in. This will be my very first dual console boat. I'm a little scared to get it done, because once the dealer installs it, it's permanant. Oh well... wish me luck!

All the best,

Glenn

If I wasn't guideing I would have a dual. Only thing you are gonna miss is the extra fishing area. Watched a pro one time play a fish, he came around the passenger side and always having had a single console, he went a$$ over teakettle!!! His remark was (and he was laughing) "Who put that there"!!:p

TOXIC

Glenn - I LOVE my Dual console! Heck on Sunday when the wind kicked up Eli crawled UNDER the passenger console to take a short nap!!! LOL

Trep

Trep - I can see D'Artagnan doing that too! I really like taking him out fishing with me, but the one major difference with him in the boat - I have to keep the boat completely "clean". I can't put a broken treble hook in a cup holder to dispose of "later". It has to be put in a ziplock baggie, and put in a out of reach spot... or D' is going to find it. :eek:

TOX - I can actually picture that in my head. :lol: That would be funny as heck. I don't think I'll miss the extra fishing area. The one thing that really stands out on the TR-20X over my old 18 foot Cajun is the much larger front deck. I feel like I could jog around up there! :lol: I seldom ever go back that far.

The only thing that is really concerning me right now is I hope my partners don't keep smacking the windshield. :(

All the best,

Glenn

That's gonna happen no matter what.....as well as the engine cowling. As long as it's not a Ledgebuster spinnerbait, a 1 ounce jig, or a big Carolina Rig, the damage will be minimal:p:p

TOXIC

You know, some aftermarket company should offer a "Guide Series" outboard engine cowling and boat windshields. You know - something made of Kevlar, and painted with non-scratchable titanium nitrided space age polymer derived from something found at Roswell. :lol: I know exactly what you mean Tox. My boat wasn't even a month old before my very first tournament partner that fished in it put a gouge in the passenger side of the engine cowling sticker with a crankbait. Wasn't much left of that crankbait either - broke the bill off, and sent the rest of it flying. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Nothing's safe....I cracked the screen of my old Hummingbird with a crankbait and my son snagged my cell phone with a spinnerbait that was clipped to the windshield (it was in it's case) and gave it a quick death in the water.

IMHO... I've ridden twice now in a friends dual cowl Skeeter; once in the rain and another on a cold morning which turned into a warm windy day. Never did I feel the passenger cowl was helping me all that much but it did seem to make the boat seem cramped up. I used to think I would want a dual cowl but now I'm not so sure....at least I could go either way.

Harpo

For a full sized adult, I'm not really sure the dual console will add anything other than a glovebox to put additional items. But my 3 year old will probably GREATLY benifit from it. He could actually lay down underneath it if he wanted to, and not feel ANY wind, rain, etc.... that might occur during a day of fishing, which is the reason I'm getting the console - it's for his sake only. I never thought I'd own a dual console boat either - funny how becoming a "daddy" changes all your priorities. :lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Harpo - I've ridden in a 929 DC twice in 30 degree weather and it was VERY nice going 76mph down the lake to keep my chest and neck warm and dry!

I also rode in two 20ft boats last Dec/Jan in club tourney both single console and again in cold weather, and not only did I feel the cold up my neck but the pressure on my body (no comments about my size!!) was uncomfortable for 20+ min rides at 70mph.

Oh, and the maiden voyage of Dan N's 640lx single console, we thought the rain was finished/passed through or there might be a short drizzle... clouds came in, rain came in, we try to outrun it and then the HAIL comes down!! 45-50mph in a single console no fishhedz/mask it HURT!!!

When I decided to look for a new/used boat last summer, dual console was the only choice. With ELi as my winter striper partner, it was an easy choice. Heck on Sun afternoon Eli curled up UNDER the passenger console to keep warm!! LOL

Trep

It adds nothing for the driver except for a glove box. It adds a great deal for the passenger. I have never had it get in my way fighting a fish, but it does get in the way when you get up to go to the front deck. You have to take turns standing and going to your respective decks.

I have a wife that doesn't go much, but have a three year old girl that loves to go, so if it makes her days more enjoyable, then it is worth the inconvinience.

Glenn - I don't know which is faster, but I rode in Dan J's 929 DC with a 250XB on the back 3 springs ago and we hit a hair over 76 mph on the GPS, and it wasen't a we hit it and it went down, he sustained that 76mph for a nice long ride down the lake!

VERY Glad Dan had an extra full face helmet that morning!!

OK. I could see that then. With a 250XB, that is probably possible. I was thinking you were talking about a regular 225 Optimax. :lol: I don't know of too many heavier boats that run 76 or better.

All the best,

Glenn

Glen, ya the 250xb was a sweet motor, though heck, going from my 40 Merc on my tracker to the 115 inline 4 cylinder on my Nitro I could not initialy figure out why anyone would want a bigger motor or boat!! LOL

Glenn, you'll like this... My son and I were at the lake a few weeks ago fishing the timber in the back of a cove. There was another guy back there fishing out of a very clean solid white Ranger 492VS with a 200 on the back. A very stable fishing platform but not known for it's blinding speed. When we got closer to each other I complemented the guy on his sharp lookin' boat (I have a bad case of Ranger fever these days). He then told me that it would do 85 mph. I said "Oh really?" After we got out of range I told my boy that that boat wouldn't do 85 if you dropped it off a cliff.:lol:

Harpo

Lol a ranger doing 85. Thats a good one.....

Thats just like the guy in my club that thought his 21x triton with a 225 honda would do 80+( thats what the dealer told him). He thought that right up until i passed him easly one morning at launch. He was dumbfounded that i passed him with my 150 powered 18' nitro( will do 63-64 with a moderate load). The truth is his boat can barely crack 60 with that 4 stroke on it. Its proving very hard to setup properly, his holeshot and top speed really stink.

Come to think of it, my nitro will go 90 pretty easily....... On the trailer LOL

Harpo, I was about to post a reply, but Jim B stole my thunder! :lol: 85 in a Ranger with a 200... yep, highly possible... being towed down the highway! :p

Jim B - do you live in Virginia? I saw a guy at a tournament on Kerr that had a 21x Triton with a 225 Honda on it. I forget which pro someone said he got the boat from, but they said he claimed that it would do "almost 80" also (second hand conversation... I probably shouldn't even be repeating it, as I didn't hear that from the owner). I passed him up in my 20X with my 225 Optimax, and I wasn't even at WOT yet - I was doing about 65, navigating through traffic, and when I punched it, I passed right by. I don't think I went over 70 that day - full load - probably somewhere in the high 60's, but I left him in my wake. I've heard that properly set-up though, that Honda 225 4 stroke is a pretty good engine. Just not for me. I'll keep my oil burner. :lol:

There is a guy on the BBC on the Triton forum that claims to have done 80 in his Triton. I don't know. He's a well known guy from reading the postings, so I suppose it's legit. I guess properly set up, with a very light load, very little gas, and a big ol' wheel on the back, after you did your 2 minute holeshot, you might see 80... I know I never will in my boat. My best chance of seeing 80 is to setup my boat the way I had it the day I touched 75, and then go to Roanoake Rapids and wait until they open the floodgates - and then run with the direction of the water flow.... I might just come close... Maybe! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

All the best,

Glenn

Back