Trolling Motor Upgrade(ish)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DawgFish 65

Reaction score
Hey folks, just wondering about something. I have a wee little 2002 PT165 with the standard MG 43 lb. thrust, and I was thinking about bumping up to a Minn Kota AT 55 lb. I'd rather jump into a 24V system, but don't wanna lug an extra battery around, soooooooooo:

1. Would I notice a difference in performance between MG's 43 and Minn Kota's 55, and

2. Would the mounting holes match up?

I'm kind of "special" when it comes to handymanship. On a Miller Lite scale of 1-6, how many tasty beverages would it take for somebody not very mechanically inclined to complete this project? Many thanks in advance...

Mike

You'll be running that 16 footer around like the Queen Mary. That's the exact same upgrade I did to my PT-185. The AT-55 works very good on my boat except on the most windy days when I have to keep it on 4 and 5 to go against the wind. Still, it was a great improvement over the OEM Motorguide. Noticeably quiter. I never run out of power even on a two day trip but I also have a big honkin' Everstart that so big it won't fit in the original E/W position it only goes in N/S (if you know what I mean). I did upgrade the battery cable to 6 ga.

The Minn Kota has been an excellent TM for me. I would have to drag it behind the car to abuse it any worse than I have and it still keeps on running. Four out of six of the original TM holes will match up. You will need to drill two. I tried to get by with just screwing into the original jacknuts and almost ripped the whole TM into the water when I hit a stump coming out of a cove on high speed. Do not use the jacknuts or T-nuts or whatever you call them. Use stainless steel bolts with some big ol' fender washers and double nut it.

Good luck

Harpo

Back