Trolling Motor Plug Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
The only question we have after fixing the trolling motor is going into the plug there is a negative wire, a 12 volt wire,and a 24 volt wire. Only 2 go into the plug. We put in the negative but were unsure which of the other 2 to use.

It's a 12 volt trolling motor so you would think that would be the right wire but you can tell the 24 volt wire is the one that was used before. Maybe they set it up wrong? Which should I use? The way it was with the 24 volt wire or the 12 volt? I know the circuit on the positive wire to the battery is marked 24V and its been working just fine. Any ideas?

You should use the 12V connector. I just did this when I changed the trolling motor out on my 700LX.

Does it matter that the fuse on the battery cable is for a 24V?

The fuse doesn't care how many volts it gets, it's only worrying about amps.

Harpo

If you have only one battery hooked to your trolling motor it won't matter which wire you use. Just be sure and use the one that is hooked to your battery. Harpo is right about the fuse. Of course if you burn your boat up I am not really me. Imposter is writing this.

The question would be "Is it fused for 24 volts?"

If it is, a 24 volt system would only require 1/2 the amps, so the fuse may be too small.

Do you have an owner's manual for your trolling motor that will tells you what size fuse to use?

Use one of those big plug block fuses. I put a 40 amp on my trolling motor.

Teri-

I replaced my fuse with a circuit breaker I bought at NAPA.

A breaker can be reset,no need to carry spare fuses.

What size motor,maybe somebody will know what size you need.

I got a breaker from my marine place it cost me about $8. It attached to my battery like a piece of cake and resets automattically. They told me thats what they rig all their boats with one.

Thanks Chris. Who knew you read this site. I did call your service and asked who serviced MG motors in Indy but I never got a return call from the gentleman I spoke to.

The wires are labeled 12v and 24v, my question was which one should I use. It looks like it was rigged with the 24v originally but the trolling motor is a 12v.

One question you could answer would be is the ski storage compartment on the floor suppose to be water tight? I get quite alot of water in there on a regular basis so I am guessing the answer is no.

Back