Trip to Bass Pro

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Anything essential I need to pick up while I'm there? Anything unique to Tennessee fish?

I went thru my tackle last night. Holy cow! I had no idea I had that much stuff. I use about 3 things, worms, crankbaits, and ....ok I use 2 things.

I never catch anything on spinnerbaits so don't even suggest them because I won't buy them (although I have about 20).

If you supply me the suggestion that turns out to be "the magic lure" of the season, you may just get rewarded.

I have plenty of senkos and tubes. I have Bob G to thank for turning me on.....to senkos. Even taught me how to rig them puppies straight as an arrow.

Norman Lure Crankbaits.....DD14's and DLN (Deep Liitle N's)

If you can find them in Green Joe color thats the ticket. If you cant find the green Joe look at colors with white and small char. with a blue glitter back. Get around those Island and humps in The Priest (Percy that is) and crank away.......Oh yeah that's what I think you should name the boat....The Priest.....LA

I don't know about Tenessee fish, but if you like crank baits, get a couple "Big-O's". Always work well for me here in PA. Brown craw or the perch, but I like to leave the perch fade out a little by leaving it in the sun for a couple days.

Rich D

Get youself some yamamotto kreature's. Its a great flipping bait.

Teri,

You have to try

1)Hula Grubs, there the best!, try to get the Yammie's brand.

2)Lucky Craft pointers too, will be very good for the spring.

3) Sweet Beavers, but I don;t think BPS will carry them because of the packaging.

I can't wait for my reward!!

I cant wait to try the beavers this spring. I bought a truck load of them at a show this year. They look like a very good bait.

Primers, you've got to have something to set that dynamite off with.

Teri,

Rattletraps and mid-sized lipped cranks( that run 6-12 ft deep) in chrome and crawfish colors work well on Preist, also blue and chrome combo is good. Charlie Brewer's Sliders are killer on Priest for me using 1/4 oz. spider heads with 4 inch black with red tipped tail or shad color regular worm rigged weedless, or the black and blue lizard worm is good in spring/early summer. Sliders are my "secret" go to lure, so you better not spread that around too much, or everyone will be using them! ( OR....you could take me with you to Priest and I could show you how they work...yeah, that's the ticket!)

Also, Another reminder to only run the marked channel on Priest when the water is down this time of year or you will knock off the lower unit or prop on the many unmarked rockpiles around the lake!!!

Congrats on the new boat and catch a bunch!!

Tom

Teri, email me your address and I will send you some Yamamoto Kreature samples. What you need is a dropshot setup and some Roboworms 6 inch in Aaron's Magic.

TOXIC

I've caught some good fish (LM) on 'Ol Hickory with a Bandit 400 crankbait chart/blue splatterback and c-rigged Berkley blk/blu 6" Powerbait lizards. Half ounce chr/blu Rat'l Traps will keep you busy on the main river as well. The bridges and the duck blinds have been very good to me.

When you're at the store see if a buddy of mine, Greg Cole, is there. He can fill you in on all the local good stuff and when's and where's. We fished together a bunch around here before he got the Nashville store. Good luck!

I'm going to give red hooks a try this year for my plastics. How bout those?

BIG shiners !!!!!! (the bigger,the better)

#0 hook,a foot or two below a bobber.

Lob that sucker out there,crack open a cold beer(your choice),turn up the stereo, and sit back and relax.

You may not look as fancy,but you WILL catch some big bass.(and a nice tan)

Steve

Tox I heard great things about those Robo worms in Aarons majic. Do you fish yours on the drop shot all the time? The folks up here use them on a jig heads and slay fish.

Donnie

This is TOO funny Teri, you KNOW any guy that asked this question would NOT get the speed and number of r eplys!!!

All good suggestions, I'd add on the crankbait side XPS shallow fat crankbaits!!

Trep, I'd like to think it's my charming personality that gets me replies not my anatomy. Maybe you should try offering a reward. :) I did see some of those shallow flat cranks and thought about trying one but I don't think they were XPS.

I just bought #2 and #3 wide gap Gama's in Red to try this year.

Someone on this board pointed me to Bandit crank baits last summer and I really like them.

Tom, when the weather gets a tad warmer I will be on Priest quite often, especially during the week after work. Since you're retired (I think) you should be able to join me any time and show me the "hot spots".

Eakins jigs in the green gourd/orange color with a green pumpkin w/ chartruese claws trailer. Fish it around docks and rocks on 14# line with lots of garlic spray. It's my "go to" bait on clear lakes like Old Hickory, Pickwick, and Kentucky.

BTW, if you went through your tackle in one night then you don't qualify as having to much stuff.

Think the "Pam" garlic flavor would work? I have some in my kitchen.

Velcro, what size jig head do you use?

This is awesome, thanks guys. I can't wait to get out there. Here fishy, fishy.

5/16 ounce - not the flippin' jig

I don't know if the garlic really helps, but it gives me more confidence.

Try some silver Pop-r's early and late on the rocks.

Da Bear

BANG Garlic spray. Spray some in the bags of plastic baits ahead of time. I don't use anything on Senkos.

Bob G.

Bob G. Do you really use that stuff? I remember Rob (hope he's doing well) always saying it was good. I gave it a 'test smell' at the local Wal-Mart and man is that odor strong!!!

I was afraid if that smell got into my boat I'd never get it out!

And Teri I'll guarantee it doesn't make a good perfume!

Mike L.

Doni, so far I haven't had to throw them any other way. The slimeys are eatin em up!! Another West Coast bait working its way East!! Peoples Worm is another good color.

TOXIC

Yes...I use that stuff....I also eat lots of garlic anyways..so it doesn't stink to me!!

Teri....it does make a good perfume!!!

Bob G.

Just got back from Bass Pro and my pockets are drained. I did buy a Browning Midas (thanks to the tip about it being the JM). It was on sale for $99.99 (from $149.99) and I had a 15% off so I saved some big bucks. I also found some of your suggestions like the Norman Green George, the Eakin jigs with a craw, and the Sliders but the trailers are black and chart because they didnt have red tips. Alot of the other stuff like blue and chrome (my favorite) I already had. Bought lots of craw colored cranks recently.

I asked about Robo worms and both guys looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about so I guess I'll have to wait on those.

I CAN'T WAIT TO GO FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Teri...I'm draggin the wife and little man out there on Friday...I'm glad they have the Green Joe's cause Memphis is out of them and I need some.....Your gonna love living on that lake this summer...

Bandits! Lots of Bandits! Spinnerbaits..and Shiners for the TVA smallies:)

Gotta get Robo's on-line or from their site. Yamamoto also makes a "like" bait. The key is to get a dropshot rigged and get used to using it. Another Finesse technique catching fish!!

TOXIC

Back