Tracker and Mercury Parting Ways???

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't heard that one. Did the article or post reference where the info. was coming from or who the new supplier might be? If I remember correctly, in the early to mid 80's OMC was Trackers outboard supplier. Could this be the fall out from Brunswick purchasing Triton??

Steve

Steve, it seems it came from a dealer who also said that Tracker was going to Bombardier and yes, it all has something to do with the Triton deal.

Bill

Steve you are right about Omc suppling Tracker some one at Mercury had p/od someone at Tracker but it was cleared up in a few years I doubt if Triton would have any thing to do with it because Brunswick ownes so many boat lines

Leave my pink thong outta dis! Besides, I wear a new one....it's made of clear saran wrap.:lol:

Tracker could be smart to move to Bombardier because Bombardier has a wider range of price range engines and still competes with Merc at the top. In fact, E-Tecs are very competitive...

just left a dealer who was in TEXAS meeting, seems their was NO Merc reps or displays their. I was also told that the Merc would still be availible BUT that several motor Companies had displays and engines on the Trackers and Nitros. Also that Susuki was the biggest display and was pushing the 4-strokes hard (manly big fishing rigs) the new 591 is a 19' and is rated for 175hp. they said that merc was told not to attend and sent them packing.

Oh... maybe... You can/could buy your Nitro with a "choice" of motor... That would make service issues a lot more complex, but somewhat "user friendly"...

Over the last five years, nothing has been more convoluted than the recreational boat and motor business...

Merc showed up at the dealer meeting and was sent packing. Kinda forboding. Time will tell.:(

i think it would be foolish for Nitro to go with Suzuki, from what I hear they have some of the weakest motors on the market as far as HP goes, I hear HP at the prop is the lowest on the market. That will not go good for some of the heavier hulls that Nitro has.

IF they go with Tohatsu I won't mind thats one dam good motor... I am glad I got mine this year.. the only motor I will ever have is a honda, Tohatsu , Merc or a yammy..

X

I imagine there gonna pick one to package the boats with, and leave the option to put whatever you want on the back.

I hope this isn't true!! I've been running Merc's for quite a few years!!

I just ordered an '06 901 w/200 OptiMax. I wasn't given a choice of motor manufacturers nor was anything mentioned.

One thing to keep in mind is that the recent aquisition of Travis Boating Centers is what opened the door for the other engine mfr.'s invitation to the dealer meeting as they have kept most of the same lines with the existing mfr.'s. Food for thought.

Dan, What do you think this has in store for us??? Just speculation i know, but where do you think this puts us!!! KB

Patt - As a non-boating industry person, I did a little research on the price of outboards. For instance, i'm considering a 75 hp 2 stroke for my 175:

Merc: 75 carb classic $5798

75 Opti $7227

Nissan: 70 TLDI $7504

Rude: 75 E-Tec (all that is sold now) $8514

Tohatsu: 70 TLDI $7355

Yamaha: 70 $6390

Add other vendors who only make 4 strokes

Honda - 75 4 stroke $9025

Merc - 75 4 Stroke $7590

So................... the CHEAPEST investment is the Merc 2 stroke carb'd motor by about $550 or more.

So I agree that if Merc and Tracker are splitting an exclusive relationship, with Tracker's volume a vendor will step up and provide a nice bulk pricing!

Patt - I pulled those #'s from Trailer boats/BBW mag which I assume are stock retail prices.

I'll let you know in the spring if i'm gonna repower. Gotta see how bonus from IBM looks, and what my future boating looks like. Right now i'm torn between: Repower and keep the PC 175 (great family fishing machine), buy a nice 4-6 yearold 17-18 ft dual console bass boat (my 5 year old is my partner and he needs protection in the cold weather), a 17-18 fish/ski or a 18ft center console. Too many choices!!!

Patt - Thanks a bunch!! Keep the bugs off your windshield and the bears off your tail!

When i'm ready to talk seriously or do some serious looking i'll call ya up and see what advice the Sage can provide!

Chris - You WISH!!! LOL If I only had the $$ a Targa 20sport with a 200 EFI!!!

It ain't about what you and I pay for them.....

It's all about what the boat manufacturer/dealer pays for them.....

And can turn around and charge us. :unsure:

Hey Staci - Looks like you've been WORKING for a living lately, haven't seen you much online during the day! How's the new job??

It's very nice to have a life again! :)

For those of you who don't know, I took a retail sales position with U.S. Cellular. I started training 10 days ago. They just opened in St. Louis on Thursday. They are conducting a massive advertising campaign!

I'm still in training..... It'll be about another week before I'm in the store..... Then a few days of shadowing and training there..... I really like the attitudes of the people I've delt with so far..... uh... I don't know what else to say at this point.....

Thanks for asking, Michael!

me!

Back