Towing with a 5 Speed 4WD

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Feist

Reaction score
I had to replace the clutch in my 93 F-150 and got it back today. It has 85K miles on it and it was the original clutch. The transmission guy told me that if I had to pull out from really steep boat launches or had to maneuver my travel trailer backing up the best thing that I could do is put the 4WD in low range. He said that being in low range would put nearly ZERO stress on the clutch. I

I would agree that it would take some stress off the clutch but your u-joints in the front axles are going to be screaming for mercy if you do much turning and twisting while going down the ramp.

Harpo

i use 4wd without the hubs locked in pulling out of boat launches.it is less stress on the clutch.i have over 150,000 on the clutch right now.neighbor has a 95 similar to mine but extended cab,tows a 23 ft starcraft islander doesnt usae 5th at all when towing,uses 4 low on all ramps,plus he put a 5 speed out of a f-350 in it,lower 1st and 2nd gears.nice truck to drive..

towing in 5th on flat lands is ok,but in the hills is no good.lugging the motor down kills them.i tow in 4th 99% of the time unless it is a long doswnhill or flat where i can maintain 65 or whatever the speed limit is.

Maybe I should clarify my post. He said to do this when I have loaded my boat and am pulling out. I told him that I wasn't much worried about my boat because I hardly realize the PT175 is behind me when I'm towing it. As for the 4000#+ travel trailer, that's another story. Backing up had been a "smoking" experience a few times in the last few months.

Brian -

Does the travel trailer have brakes?

Are they engaging when you back up?

Do you have a way to disable them when backing up?

me!

me,

Yes, it has brakes. Al I have to do is unplug the cable. I talked to a few people after I posted ad Jeff's suggestion about not not locking in the hubs was reinforced by others.

Back