Towing w/ Chevy Colorado?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo. Beason

Reaction score
I'm thinking about a change of tow vehicles. I have a Nitro 205 F/S with a 150XR6. Anybody out there got a Colorado and towing with it? Also would like to hear about mpg on these units.

What engine on the Colorado? Tow PKG.? As long as you get the tranny cooler and possibly an oil cooler, you should be fine.

TOXIC

That inline 5 is supposed to put out about 225 HP:)Should do fine but, yes get the tow package...you won't be sorry.

I test drove a Colorado...

Decided against buying one...mostly because it just didn't 'feel' like it would have any towing 'guts'...

Yes it has a high hp rating, but it drives, feels, and sounds like a 4 cylinder engine...

just my $0.02 worth...

az

I agree Andy:) I ain't spendin' 24K for a pickup that I could almost fit in the bed of mine:)

I drove one too when a buddy of mine was looking at them. I drove a 5cyl crew cab 4wd and its gutless. Its got zero and i mean zero bottom end torque and thats bad for towing. For going to the mall and back it will be fine but when it comes to towing torque is everything and that I5 has none. I really think chevy missed the mark with this one. The old s10 with a 4.3 was a great towing truck and they went and screwed it up. and why no I6 from the trailblazer? That would fix the towing deal instantly. The scary thing is the truck i drove stickered for 3k more then a Dodge Dakota quad cab 4x4 with a v8 does with more options including leather( the chevy had cloth).

I had my boat weighed and it is right at 3650 lbs. The Colorado shows a max of 3500 for the crew cab. Guess I won't be looking at those anymore. The S-10 is rated at 5200 lbs. I was told they went light on the tranny and rear axle but maybe they will beef it up when it doesn't sell. The S-10 crew cab is just too small.

Thanks for everyones input, this is a great site. Got my RSVP for the 2005 Rally, hope to seeya all there.

Back