tournament

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
I fished the season opener for the mini boat club yesterday. This is the club I am the president of. To make a long story short I caught about 7 fish....3 short fish and 4 white bass. I blanked in the tournament. Instead of getting down or discouraged...this just makes me more ready for the next one.

I think I have figured out why I am doing so poorly. I changed my attitude at the end of last year towards tournaments. Because I got on a hot streak and finished 4th in the Angler of Year Race for the club and qualified for a bigger tournament I decided that I was now one of the best. I just forgot how to have fun I entered each tournament thinking I can beat everyone...the only thing I thought about was winning each tournament. I blanked in those tournaments and got discouraged. Thinking back to the tournaments I won the only thing on my mind was fishing and the job at hand...not trying to catch more than the other guy.

Here is my new thinking:

Only worry about the job at hand.

Don't be arrogant

HAVE SOME FUN AND FISH!

I think when you stop having fun and start being arrogant you get into trouble.

BJ

LOL! "I think when you stop having fun and start being arrogant you get into trouble." Boy, BJ, did you say a mouthful!

Always do YOUR best, BJ!

Concentrate on YOUR game!

And YOU will be a Winner!

me!

Keep a proper perspective BJ.. Years ago, while fishing a tournament on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, I hooked a huge fish. The wind was howling, the boat was being pushed around and trees were cracking all around me. I didn't mind though because I knew I had this tournament won and maybe a state record Bass at the same time.

It took me fifteen minutes to get that fish to the boat and then worried me because we did not allow nets. I finally get him to the boat and he looks up at me and I see he is about a twenty five pound CARP, and on a spinnerbait yet. I was instantly mad and actually slammed my rod and reel into the water. Being a lot faster those days than now, I instantly grabbed my rig before it could sink, and then released that Carp.

I then started thinking what an a&&hole I was. I was on the water, doing what I loved to do, on a beautiful day (albeit windy), with a lot of friends and had hooked a fish that fought me very hard and fair and square. That he wasn't what I WANTED to catch should not have mattered. He gave me a great fight and I should have enjoyed that experience.

BJ, it made me get my head straight and though I continued fishing tournaments, and wanted to win, I put my fishing priorities in order.

Try hard and fish hard but remember what it's all about..

Good Luck, Bill

BJ.

Have fun is the key words. I fished a money circuit around here for years. It was team fishing and the harder I tried the better we got the more money we won. It got so I hated Saturdays, and everytime a saw a crowd of bassboats at the ramp I wanted to go the other way. What I loved to do more than anything in the world got to be so stressfull, I quit. I almost quit altogether. Last year was the first time I really started enjoying fishing again. So don't get burned out at your young age. When you start stressing about winning and not doing well affects your mood better take a look at what your trying to accomplish with fishing.

fatrap

Back