Tournament V-18 & Jack Plate

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys I have a 2001 Tournament V-18 with a 90 Merc on it. I am considering upgrading the engine to a 150. Does any one have a V-18 with a 150 on it? If so performance numbers and how does it handle? I am also thinking about adding a 6" jack plate with the 90 first to see if it makes a difference. Has anyone tried this if so what were the results? Are there any issues with a Jack plate that I should be concerned about on this hull? I am running 40 mph on GPS with full tournament load and a 21 pitch turning point prop. Pulls to 5300 rpm. Love the boat and layout, just would like some more speed.

I also have a TV-18 but much newer. My transom is the welded and not the same as mine. If I remember correctly even though it is rated for the 150 there could be some weight considerations (and thrust forces) with a jack plate. If you get the verification that it will handle the weight it will fly. There is a young guy who has one in one of my circuits and it will flat scoot!

I have the 115 and it gets 52 (speedo) and jumps out of the hole with a 20 pitch 3 blade lazer.

Randy!

Randy, My speedo reads 45 gps on depth finder reads 40. Please explain on the transom. My hull is all welded just like the newer TV-18. A buddy of mine has an 06 model and my boat looks extacly like his does except for the front deck storage. From everthing I have found out. The 2000 model year is when they had trouble with the transom on the V-18 with a 150. Was supposed to be fixed for the 01's.

You are probably right on the model/year. I know the top caps on the transom had problems coming loose. It us just with a jack plate it hangs out farther and with that comes added torque so it can put a ton more pressure on the transom. I have never seen one with a jack plate, but the ones I have that had a 150 flew.

Randy

Is the V-18 stable on the top end with the 150? When you say flew. We talking 60 mph. Does the 150 cause it to sit low in the backend? Enough that wash over is a problem?

I have not seen them run in big water with big waves but on rivers and lakes (up to 2000 acres) smooth as can be. Of course not much is in the water when they are moving that fast. As I said I run 52 with speedo (probably slower GPS) but they go by me like I am idling! Outruns a lot of larger glass boats too!

I did see them shut down quickly twice and no backwash. I don't either with the 115 opti. Can't tell you the wight difference between the two motors but it can't be that much.

Randy!

I have a 2001 V-18 with a 150XR6 and haven't seen any cracks developing around any of the corners or welds. There are pictures in my library, and photos of the motor in the Grab Bag section under Lower Unit Oil Change.

I don't know what the difference in weight is between the carbed XR6, the EFI or the Optimax but I'm guessing the Opti weighs quite a bit more. You may want to check.

Mine is rigged stock with a 23-inch Black Max 3-blade aluminum, which is too much pitch. It tops out around 5200 rpm and 54 on a GPS in smooth water and a FULL tank with a FULL load of gear. I've had it up to 58 empty and almost an empty tank. At some point I'd like to try a 21-inch Tempest stainless, or a 21-inch Black Max and raise the motor height a bit just to get the RPMs up to the engine's rated max of 5800.

Quite honestly, I wouldn't mess with a jack plate. I don't think you'd gain that much and the boat really isn't designed for one. It doesn't have a pad, and the step notch from the primary transom to the keel is only 4 or 5 inches.

Washover isn't really a problem. You'll get the back deck wet, but the only way I've ever buried the transom is to back up hard in reverse. You can put the deck under that way.

The difference between the '01 transom and the later boats is that the 01's transom has wood sandwiched between the inner transom bulkhead and the outer bulkhead; the later transoms replace the wood with aluminum cross-braces welded in several places.

My '01 is very stable running WOT if the water is smooth. In a good chop the ride is dry. If the lake has rollers or a lot of other boat wakes, I don't recommend running WOT. It' hurts too much.

One other thing: I've noticed that I need to tighten up the motor bolts once or twice a year, and I suspect its due to torquing when applying the throttle to get out of the hole. They've never been loose, and the motor doesn't get to the point where there is play between the mount and the transom, but the bolts aren't tight.

No problem.

By the way, I looked up weight information on the 150s and the difference between a carbed XR6 or EFI and the Optimax is 15 pounds. The Verado, however, is 79 pounds heavier than an Opti, and 94 pounds heavier than the XR6 or EFI.

With that in mind, and for cost reasons, I would NEVER put a Verado on the back of a 2001 TV-18 unless someone else had taken the risk first and I could see with my own eyes that it was safe. I might do it on a brand-new TV-18 with the all-welded transom, but only if I'd won the lottery and had all kinds of money to waste.

However (and there is ALWAYS a 'however' in life), if I were looking to power up from 90 to 150 h.p., I think I would abandon Mercury and strap on an Evinrude E-Tec. Weight is nearly identifcal to the XR6, fuel economy is much better, and there is NO break-in period on a new motor.

The E-tec looks nice. Hear a lot of good things about them. Are you using the single cable steering on your boat?

Yes. It came rigged that way and I haven't had any problems with it.

Latest posts

Back