throttle cable questions.

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Dear

Reaction score
I had my boat out yesterday & think my throttle cable let loose. It would sound like it went into geer but the throttle had no tension and would not rev the engine. Does this sound right?

Can someone explain how the throttle connects to the motor? I have a 1995 115hp Mercury on my Nitro 170DC. Thanks for the help...

It's a pretty easy replacement, Steve. I did it on my 1997 Nitro 2000DC.

The hardest part is getting the shifter linkage out of the hull so you can R&R the cable at that point. The face plate is outside the hull but the "workings" are inside. I don't remember exactly what it was that I had to do..... It was something to do with removing the button from the base of the shift arm and removing a nut from behind it. Then you can slide the main part forward to where you can work on it. Also, lining up the assembly to replace it was a bit difficult until I went out and got 2 or 3 long (maybe 6 or 8") bolts the same diameter as those used to hold the face plate on. I used those to align everything and slide it together.

Back at the motor is a simple job. Take off the cowling and you'll see that. The only thing back there is to make sure you set the adjustment screw at the throttle linkage itself properly.

One other thing..... Attach one end of the new cable to one end of the old cable with duck tape and use the old cable to pull the new one through. If you have to feed the new one through, it will take you forever and a day to get it.....

Good Luck!

me!

Back