Teaching someone a technique?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis Smith

Reaction score
How do I help someone figure out how to use a new technique like using a senko. I know people get all flustered when they see me catch fish on them and they cant. I tell them how to set the hook, how to fish it, how to rig it ect. I even watch their line for them and can tell when a fish hits it and moves with the lure. How do I help a person get the hang of a technique faster than the way I teach them?

T.S.

Take them fishing more often....there is no substitute for time on the water.

Mini

Mini, is right. Practice, practice, practice, I know I suck at Jig fishing and leave it to Rob when we do tourney's together even though he will explain all the details but until I get more time on the water doing it and practicing it I'm not confident enough in it to do during a tourney.

Buzz

KB is 100% correct. the only way he or she is going to comfortable with it is to spend a day fishing it.

don't let them become discouraged, not every body catches fish right away when learning a new technique.

there are some seasond fisherman in my club that will not throw a drop shot because they don't catch fish.

i feel right now it is probably one of my top weapons during a tourny. tell them to stick with it and it will come to them.

GregD

Plus there is a skill to teaching....right fatrap?!?! It is not as simple as just telling and showing someone how to do it. You have to be able to communicate with whoever you are teaching in a way that they can understand. Some are visual, some are hands on and some will never learn!!LOL!!

Barring all else, given enough time on the water most will learn.

TOXIC

Tox is right. There is a nack for presenting the info in a way that people can understand and put to practice. Don't you want to be a guide Travis??? LOL This is one of the FUN parts! LOL Like Buzz and Mini said...time on the water. Take them to a spot you KNOW holds a fish. Then explain to them what to do and let them do it. After they catch a few fish doing it, it will become obvious. That's how I started teaching Buzz a jig. I took him to a spot I KNEW held a nice bass, told him to flip in there. He did and sure enough the fish hit. He missed it the first time, but went back at it, and within a few more casts nailed it, and I believe at that time it was only his 2nd jig fish ever and his biggest. I'm sure he's caught larger now, but that's how I do it. Show them only once or twice, then get out of the way and let them do it.

Good thing about a Senko is if they miss the bite, they still usually get the fish (although by means of a swallowed hook).

I was fishing a tourney on Sunday and my boater had 6 keeper fish (culled 1). I had ONE keeper. He threw me the bait he was using and told me how to fish it. He still cleaned my clock. About 2 hours before the tourney was over, I started "listening" instead of just listening.

I was fishing it too fast. He described the bite as one tap, reel down and cross their eyes. That "one tap" bite is so hard to accept. Usually, one tap means you got a hit but nothing's there now. Once I paid attention and listened with all of my senses (you know, WATCHING him as opposed to glancing over), I figured it out.

Getting stomped by someone else in the same boat doing the same thing is what makes you learn. He gave me the pattern, all I had to do was turn it into fish. He had 12 pounds and second place. I had under 2 pounds and didn't get a 0 :(. Sometimes, no mercy is what has to happen.

Of course, I told everyone how the boater "front-ended" me in open water. That got a good giggle.

You know Mike, that's EXACTLY what happened to me. Years ago in a night tourney, I got paired up with a guy that DID backboat the hell out of me. He was fishing a jig and won the tourney. I never boated a fish. It made me determined to learnd the technique and kick his arse. I did learn, and I did kich his arse! LOL Often you have to just stick with it until you learn something. I forced myself to fish a C-rig last year until I got the basic feel of it. What I did was leave all my other rods in the truck and only took 2 rods, both with c-rigs on. It worked. I went out with Mark K and we nailed some nice smallies on C-rigs when other baits weren't practical.

C-rigging is also how Allen Cauthen won the Champlain Everstart last year.....more incentive for me to get better at it.

Excellent comments from all. I am finally going to learn to jig/texas rig worm fish this year and these comments give me the method. I have a friend that has a 10 acre lake with all kinds of different structure. It is loaded with bass. Next time I go I will only take a rod with a jig and another with a texas rig worm. I know once I start to get the feel for what the line does, how the bite feels, and finally the proper hook set it will become more natural. I still remember giving away my first baitcasting reel to my father-in-law after giving up trying to learn how to use it. Now that's all I ever use.

Downstream,

If you want to learn TX rigging (or worm fishing in general), go get Woo Daves tape on worm fishing. That's what I used. He really get's into it. It's not just a 'fishin' video. I took what he had to say, went to the lake, and now consider it to be one of my strengths.

I also, need to work on the jig-n-pig.

Tex

Back