Targa help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2000 18' Targa Allweld. While up under the boat I found a small perfectly round (half the size of a pencil) hole directly in the center of the keel located just below where the front of the boat swings under to start the straight horizontal run back. This is well below the water line. I know this wasn't caused by hitting anything since it is perfectly round. The dealer said it looks like someone put a drill to it but that would be impossible due to secure storage. I'm thinking that maybe something was located there installed by the factory and has come out. Anyone who owns a similar rig know what this could be? Do you think that hole fix is covered by warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

I had basically the same boat for 2 years. I didn't ever find anything like that.

Just a note and opinion. I have found over the years, that making a statement aluding to something being impossible, usually lands me in a situation whereby I am forced to eat my words.

Here's some general questions to think about.

What makes it impossible for someone to access your boat and drill a hole in the hull? Is it truly impossible, or just difficult?

Is the boat in a closed/locked garage, or an open area with other boats?

There are some really malicious people out there, that like nothing more than to create a problem for others.

Is the hole readily accessible, or is it difficult to get to?

I'm guessing that Tracker is not going to warranty something like this. Also, I don't think that tracker would deliver a boat with something in a hole (like a hole cover) that could come out. If they found a hole, they would likely weld a piece over it.

How much will it cost to have it fixed (locally)? Even is Tracker will warrant it, do you really want to not have your boat while it goes back to the factory (likely scenario).

Just some things to think about.

Tex

All those questions would be far better answered by your Dealer.

Rick, I had a hole in my PT-17 that was the size of a quarter and PERFECTLY round. I still don't know what caused it. The day it happened I rode up on something at idle speed and the boat raised up less than three inches and settled back down. When I pulled it out of the water and was wiping it down is when I noticed it. The only thing I think that could have caused it was maybe a spike left in an old pier piling or something similar.

Bill

It's not where your drain hole is for your front livewell? I have a 2002 Targa 17 SC and that's where mine is located, but it has a plastic cover on it.

Glenn

Glad you found out what it was. Interesting.

Now, just try and forget about it, next time you are on the water. NOT!

Tex

Back