stern issues

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP Heintzman

Reaction score
Gents, I have an issue with the stern of my 1995 170TF. I am getting water in the hull and initially thought it was livewell plumbing or something like that. I checked all the plumbing and it's good to go. I was lowering the motor down onto the transom saver yesterday and noticed when it got seated onto the transom saver, the very bottom edge of the motor mounting plate raised up off the stern about 1/8 of an inch. I'm now assuming that because I didn't know any better, I've been putting too much pressure on when I lower the motor onto the transom saver and ruined my stern, is this the case. And if so, am I screwed? I still have to put the boat in the water and watch to see if the water is coming in through this area. You can see a small crack in the inside corner just to the right of where the bilge motor is that fills my livewell. I initially thought it was only a surface crack, but it may be where the water is coming in. You can see anything, cracks or holes, from the outside of the boat, only the bottom edge of the mounting plate barely separating from the surface. Anyway, I know "blind diagnosis" is difficult, but any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping my boat is not now a birdbath for the yard! Oh yeah, Happy New Year!

Jim

Jim, Try using a garden hose and filling your bilge with water while the boat is in your driveway. You should see where the water leaks out of the boat and should be able to find your leak that way. Good luck!

When I bought my 99, 3 of the 4 motor mount bolts were loose, I could move one with my fingers. The motor bolts need to be sealed with silicone as they are tightened. This alone allowed a few gallons to leak into the bildge.

I was lucky that no damage was done to the transom.

Not sure but a 95 may have wood in the transom, I was told my 99 did not.

If the wood has gotten wet it may begin to rot. I would get a shop to take a look at the transom.

JS

Man what a message title... I was wondering just what Rich Stern had done to warrant the

ISSUES header..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back