Spring Shake Down Run

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Mc Innish

Reaction score
After having a dumb problem fixed on my trolling motor and installing a new sounder on the bow I got the boat on the water for the first time this weekend. Motor ran great on new plugs. I have a 2000 model year XR6 and it did not like the Champion plugs I put in last year. Went to NGK and it fired up on the first shot and ran like a champ all day. I always plan on stuff going wrong the first time out and sure enough I had a trim switch on the bow go bad and a water pressure gauge crack and start leaking water in on me. Both were non critical and I had a good stream of water pushing out of the motor so other than looking like I had an "accident" all was well. Got it back on the trailer no problems. It sure felt good to get back at it after this winter. Hopefully catch some fish on the next outing.

Shake down trips are fun....

did the guage break or the hose pop off? One thing that used to really bother me about Nitro.....they didnt crimp the hose on (more of a rigging prob, not really Nitro's fault).

Use a couple of tie wraps or better yet a small metal crimp on clamp to hold that hose.

Wish i was doing a shake down cruise now....looks like it will be at least another 2 or 3 weeks!

I clamped the speedo tube when the same thing happened there. This time the gauage cracked and the bezel filled with water and started running out. I checked the hose and it was snug. I felt the back of the guage and there was a crack so I did a visual and sure enough the water was running out of the crack and dripping on my head. I'll be clamping that hose on when I replace the gauge. An ounce of prevention you know.

You got it!

I havent seen too many of those crack (except for ice damage)

I had one break and it was never disconnected when the winterization was completed. marina replaced it without a question at no charge. I now make sure mine is disconnected each winter before I put her to hibernation in the man cave!

Hey Mac, just received the latest magazine from US Boat and there is a picture of a guy with two really nice Small Mouth ..... Nice fish anyways! Lol!

Randy!

great pic aint it? the guy that took it is one heck of a photographer! lol

Can you guess which fish is bigger???

I had mine freeze and though it didn't leak, it read real high all the time. I put a tee in the line when I replaced the gauge and installed a small valve on it. When I winterize, I open the valve so the water can back drain. Note to self......close drain before taking the boat out. :lol:

Gene

Latest posts

Back