Spark Plugs - Spring maintenance

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Do you need to change your spark plugs every year? Last year I had the boat dealer do the spring maintenance. This year I am doing the lower unit, filling the batteries with water, and installing a 3 bank charger. Besides maybe spark plugs, anything else?

I also change the fuel filter and run the engine tune up stuff through the motor according to directions for whatever brand of motor you own. The Evinrude stuff and the procedure for it is really great and easy to do. The Mercury procedure is a little different. I think this year I'll do like a lot people on this site recommend and that is just run a full can of Seafoam through the first tank of gas.

And yes, I change the plugs every year...cheap maintenance and if they look bad, you might get an early warning of some other problem.

Every 2 years, I change out the water pump impeller and every 4-5 years, change out the entire water pump housing and have a mechanic clean and rebuild the carbs.

Good fishing!

jag

Teri - Plugs are easy but make sure to "gap" them properly. Your maintenance book should tell you the gap. How long has it been since you replaced the impeller. Many say once a year but personally, I think every third year unless you are having water pressue problems.

Check air in tires, including spare. Check gas line hoses and if the bulb is starting to dry-rot then replace that as well. Check all the cable clamps to make sure they are not cutting into hoses. Check your oil in the tilt-trim motor and top it off or replace. Lubricate steering. Replace fuel filters.

I'm sure others will chime in with others things to do.

Teri-

Dont forget the trailer- Bearings, air pressure, including spare, lights, electrical connector coupling connector, lug nuts, bow and transom straps. How about the hitch on the tow vehicle- Tightness of mounting bolts, electrical connector.

And a simple check of all nuts and blots for tightness !

Not as easy as it first sounded huh! ?

in addition to what others are suggesting, i check all my cables and wires for corrosion, and put a good coat of wax then supplement with bbs the rest of the year including the seats. i also included the wiring on the trailer and make sure my license plate is secure. dont forget to check to make sure your screws that hold your butt seat are tight.

mike c

Thanks for the replies. I changed the lower unit today. Messy! Anyway, I had the plugs replaced, all the batteries, and the impeller last year.

Hours are more important than calendar for some things like plugs....

However, what is the "worth" of even one fishing trip? Suffer a ruined trip by a fouled plug and well... what was it worth?

I get a new impellar and plugs at least every year (I have changed plugs after 100-150 hours of running in mid summer)... Impellar is cheap compared to a lost couple of days prefishing for a tourney or a lost weekend trip... Carbs are rebuilt every other year...

Lower unit oil is chasnged by me "BEFORE" winter (water in there can turn to ice and crack the lower unit)... Then when my mechanic goes over everything in the Spring he changes it again.. (My changing it was cheap winter weather maintenance. I never "winterize" my boat... It was last out in January and will be out again next weekend...

I put SeaFoam into every tank of gas and if I know it is going to site for a while (2-4 weeks) I pour four ounces in and never worry...

I use Amsoil synthetic 2 cycle oil so I am less worried about dry bearings, etc. from sitting and never worry about potential cylinder rust because the Amsoil really coats well.

Back