sold my boat, now looking for another and need opinons

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis swift

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've run the gaunlet of emmotions today. I sold my old Cajun boat. I loved that thing but, I had bought a smaller truck so I couldn't pull her anymore. We did alot of work to her and the guy that bought her was going to use her for skiing and tubing. That kind of hurt, she didn't deserve that. (lol). Anyhow I was kind of sad when she pulled out the driveway but, you all know the joke about the best two days of boat ownership.................haha, well I was sad for about an hour, now I'm pumped to start looking for my first aluminum boat. Needing some help though guys!

First, I have been doing alot of reading on internet chat rooms, WMI and some others, man, I'm hearing just horror stories about trackers and about older trackers. I don't know if it's true or wether there are a bunch of snot nosed $40,000 boat owners? Heck, I think there are alot of people that own a cheap little small boat that can out fish bigger boat owners anyday but, that's another story for another day. I guess my question, is, how do these trackers perform? I'm probably looking older here guys, so the guys that have those or have had experience would be greatly appreciated. I'm probably looking at a TX17 or 16ft or something like that. I'm going to have around $3000 to spend. I would like at least a 40hp if possible. What do you guys think about these boats and what do you think I can get for around $3000?

Sorry for the novel, but lots, and lots of questions on my mind tonight.

Thanks in advance for the helpful answers,

Travis

Travis,

What do you want the boat to do... I have a 16' PolarKraft Jon Boat built in 1976... I finally, just, replaced the wood in the transom... So don't pay too much attention to stories about aluminum boats not holding up... I figure I have another 30 years in that hull now...

A nice used 16-17-18' modified V hull Jon Boat with a 40-50hp motor... tiller or remote steer (depending on the boat) would serve you well in most situations...

Lots of options for adding a deck and a trolling motor... I use a large cooler with a livewell pump setup as a live well... I'd be happy to go into more detail if you get interested.

I keep the boat in my mother's yard for the few times when I get down there to the mississippi River and want to fish.

Travis you should be able to find something like that for the amount of $$ you want to spend. I pulled a 17 foot PT17 that had a 40 with a S-10 that had a 4cyl for a while until my tranny went. The tranny was partialy my fault for not keeping up with the fluids. I used the same Tracker in November to win our last club tx.. Keep an eye out, you should be able to find something. You may have to replace some carpet and update a few things, but with any boat you always have something to do.

I don't know if it's true or wether there are a bunch of snot nosed $40,000 boat owners?

Those guys don't run tin boats:p

You will get honest opinions from the Tracker tin owners here. With your price range you are going to be looking for an older model anyway so you are going to have to be very careful no matter what you buy. Personally I know of a lot of tin Trackers that have had the snot run out of them and they have never had any problems. Getting a solid motor should be your first concern.

TOXIC

Travis -I can't speak for the late 80's or early 90's boat, as my Tracker was a 2000, but a friend in florida had his dad's '87 17 ft tracker and had no problems at all. I think like any used boat, its all about how well the prior owners took care of it.

Good luck in your search.

Trep

Travis I found this on another board. The boat is in Ky, probally to far for you to make it worth your while. But this should give you an idea of prices and such.

1988 BASS TRACKER, 17 ft. aluminum, trolling motor, 48 h.p. Evinrude, excellent condition. $3,500. (859)236-2730 Or 516-8073.

Back