Small boat dilemma, opinions wanted

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
I have a "small" boat dilemma. Pardon the length of the explanation, but I want to set the perspective.

We've decided to upgrade the pontoon boat we keep at our cabin to a bowrider. Already have a commitment by the neighbors to buy the pontoon, so we've been keeping an eye out for a good quality, used 20' bowrider. That's one part of the equation.

Some of you may recall my Sprint 207 fish and ski restoration project that started in 2005. I moved up to that boat from the 700LXDC (now Trep's daily driver), with a couple of things in mind. I had taken up kneeboarding, and we were increasingly pulling water toys, so I wanted a good sized, powerful boat that could do double duty for fishing and water sports. The Sprint has performed well in both rolls. It's a nice, stable fishing platform, decently fast, handles rough stuff with ease, and does fine as a tow platform. It's too cramped to work as our cabin boat, as we are often number 5 or more out on the lake (hence the search for a bowrider to replace the pontoon boat).

And then, separately, my homeowners association is pressuring me to get the Sprint out of view from the street. It's way too big for the garage. Quotes for extending my already extended driveway toward the back of our house have been coming in at $7000 and higher (lots of grading work). Too much. It won't add value to our house, and may even detract. Don't want to put the Sprint in a storage place, because of two thefts already experienced in a local boat yard. Don't want the headache of worrying about the boat or my gear.

I am considering downsizing to solve my homeowners association issue. With a bowrider taking up the towing and cruising duties, I won't need that capability in a fishing boat. I love the Sprint, but I don't have a good way to store it now that the HOA is rattling my cage. I bought it cheap, and can probably get out what I put into it. That takes some of the sting away.

Unfortunately, my garage can only handle 19' 6" of package length. That means a pretty small fishing rig, even when using a swing away or removable tongue.

To maximize usable space, I am considering some sort of tiller steered, 16' setup. I'm willing to sacrifice speed and rough water capability. Jeanne and I only tackle big water and long runs a couple of times a year. We tend to avoid going out in tough conditions. We don't tournament fish. We like fishing for multiple species. We are much more likely to drift down the Chattahoochie or stick to a few favorite coves on Lanier or Hartwell. During the summer, if we are at our cabin, Jeanne will go out on Hartwell in the early mornings, usually within a mile or two of the cabin. So she has to be comfortable operating the boat herself. If it's already in the water, she can handle it, so that's not a big deal. Our boy, Zachary, only fishes occassionally, and sometimes one of us will take a niece, nephew or friend out for a few hours. So, comfortable fishing for one to two, with a very occasionally third. Definitely want a casting deck up front. Lght trailering may be an additional benefit. I might be willing to drag a smaller boat behind our minivan to Florida when we go visit my mom a couple of times a year. I've never been a fan of mod-V style boats, so I am thinking deep-v, so if we do have to endure some rough water, it won't be quite as slap-happy.

My question to the group: Small, multi-species, tiller steered boats: What do you like? What don't you like?

Rich look at something like the Lund 1775 (not specific to that brand, just the "style"... Some of the new Starcraft, Mirrocraft and even Crestliners are also very nice... oops did I forget the Alumacrafts... You can get a nice single or dual console in that size and I hope it would fit inside the 19-6 max length...(with swingaway tongue) A good starting point are the Starcrafts "Starfish 166 and 176 (weblink below)... And, obviuously the similar Tracker products.... The Starfish 176 is 21-6 without a swingaway tongue... So it will be a close fit... Lots of folks "angle park" and the do a swing away tongue to "fit"... The reason I like the Starcrafts at this size (176) is the 17 degrees of deadrise and the ability to hang up to a 150 on the boat... A serious boat in a smaller package....
http://www.starcraftmarine.com/?page=seriesdetails&hullid=1&serid=9&tab=modeldetails&boatid=428

Dont know how to get one here (the U.S.) but check these out.

http://www.souther.org/club/2006-4/index.htm

Here`s the builder.

http://www.souther.org/395/index.htm

DH

Rich,

If your looking for a bass style this is what worked for me. I have the same delema about home owners assoc. so I have a 640LX with the 90 on it. It fitted fine in the garage, look at my lib. or ask Trep, he has seen it. My garage is only 21ft and i just cutted of 4" of the tonge to make it clear the door. The guys at Dalten said it was OK. The boat does all what I want it to do and takes on rough water if you dont mind getting a little wet.

Rich...

Too bad a TV-18 won't fit in that garage....It would fit the bill perfectly for you....

az

What about a storage building? A friend of mine uses one that he can fit his 20' Skeeter, as well as a work bench and all kinds of spare parts. The facility is secure, he has key card to get through the gate. I think he pays something like $75 or $80 a month for it.

Harpo

Dang Rich, you and I talked about this on our summer trip, had a feeling you might be going this way with Jeanne's perchant for the bowrider vs. the Sprint. I had a great multispecies boat till I bought yours, with a package length of EXACTLY 19'6" :lol: That Pro Crappie was a great boat, and even got a "pass" from Bob G in the heavy chop on KY lake in 2004. But I agree if you are starting to look that a Deep V on lanier would be a better choice when the chop and barge traffic kicks up from a dry point of view.

I came SOO close to buying a Tracker SuperGuide V16 in 2000, but price wise the PC 175 was actualy a few bucks cheaper as it was already packaged with the t-moter and battery.

Its a shame you live so darn far away! Bay 2 in the Trepper Monster Garage is always open for lease! Dan used it for a month when he bought his Nitro, and Tex is stopping by to borrow it overnight in a month when he moves.

Beka will kill me for asking, but shoot me an email on what you are looking to sell the Sprint for, I told her when I bought it I wouldn't trade it for anything short of either a 911 or a 20ft fish/ski!!! LOL

Good think i'm leaving for Vienna tomorrow!! LOL

Trep

I feel for you, Rich. I still hate it every day that I can't keep my boat in the garage. $145 a month for a slip, $2500 for a used lift, and I can't keep anything on the boat because people help themselves to it. I still think about buying something I could put in the garage but my list would be very short of boats that would work. I had a Lowe 185 and sometimes I still wish I had it. My very first boat was a 14' Smokercraft tiller. That boat did very well in choppy water for it's size. You might look at finding a used deep V Smokercraft. Good luck!

If you intend to stay in the house you are in for another 5+ years I would go with extending the driveway, what if you change your mind again and want to get another boat the garage will still be the same issue.

If you are not planning to stay in the house much longer then get something to get by with until you move. Lunds are nice and seen to hold their value, smokercrafts are also nice. Any of the Deep Vs are nice, I work with a fella that has a 2001 Pro V 16 and it looks like the day he brought it home new and he still loves it.

Good Luck,

Cass

Latest posts

Back