Silverado rear-end clunk....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOMMY RICH

Reaction score
I have a 94' Silverado that has a pronounced "clunk" when taking off and sometimes stopping. I've read a ton of threads out there about applying grease to the inside the yoke and sliding the spline back on. Anybody have experience with this and did it cure the problem?

Thanx in advance,

TEE

Sometimes that helps, how are your ujoints? If they are bad it will cause that problem too. The only other thing i can think of that would cause that is a worn pinion bearing in the rear end.

I assume this is not ONLY while trailering. If it's only while trailering, your surge brakes need some "discussion".

Wrong on ALL counts guys. Had u-joints, carrier bearing and rear end reworked. No surge brakes either Mike. It's with or without trailer. Did a search on the "clunk" and found numerous reports on spline problems. Kinda' weird:(

Gonna' give the place that did the rear end work a call and see if they've heard about this prob. Altough the threads I'm reading pertain to 99 and up models but, read a few older ones too.

Tee also check the carrier bearing mount and the tranny mount. The only other thing i can thik of os the splines on the driveshaft is worn out. sometimes these types of noises can be hard to find.

Tranny re-built too:( Drivin' me nuts...and I'm no Dummy when it comes to vehicles. Gonna' do a little more research on the spline...

Tee, Chevy dealers have a TSB to repair the problem. A temporary fix is to grease the front yoke on the driveshaft where it slides onto the output shaft of the transmission. The permanent fix is a new front yoke assy that GM designed to fix the problem.

Bruce M

That's whatI'mtalkinbout :) Did you hear whether it was late models only...or all?

I'm not sure which year model it starts with. Also not sure if it's a mandantory repair at GM's expense but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it never hurts to ask. BTW, any Chevy or GMC dealer service dept knows ALL about the "driveline clunk" issue.

Good luck

Bruce M

Tee, it's a problem with the gitzamahuzits. There is a TSB on it, but you have to call your Chevy dealership and tell them it's the gitzamahuzits, or they may just change out the dumaflatcher instead, and the original dumaflatcher is better than the one they're using to replace it with.

uuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh what? It's probably the klube bearing adapter plate that's not mating to helix air valve:)

Mid 90's Ford have the same problem. Grease may stop the noise but not the free play problem.. My 92 F150 does it.

BF

Lots of people complain about the clunk you hear in the rear-end. The TSB is for late model trucks, 99-present. Bruce is right about the fix, but I'm sure your 94 does not fall under any warranty/TSB repairs.

I had a 94 and an 01. Both trucks had the clunk and my dealer told me it was normal on the 01. My mechanic said the same about my 94. It's the slop between the teeth of the gears in the rear-end, which is called "lash". If this lash was not there, it would reek havoc on your driveline and destroy it over time. I even have it in my Toyota....

Tee - I'm not sure if you are a member here yet, but definitely go over to gm-trucks.com, very knowledgable people over there.

Back