Show

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hammer TOXIC

Reaction score
Well, three days at the show and none of you worthless, waterlogged, fish smellin, scallywags showed up!!! Oh wait a minute, CIII and KB popped in LOL!!. I'm absolutly worn out to say the least. Anybody who thinks doing these shows is a cake walk has got another thing coming. The networking that takes place is UNBELIEVABLE....for example, I was offered State Team/Pro Staff positions with 3 boat manufacturers!! I was offferd a deal with 2 plastics companys...I may have locked down one of the hardest sponsors out there to get right now....Got to meet and talk to Forrest Wood, Woo Daves, and Mike Iconelli, booked 2 trips, got signed to have some articles written, and found out that the Chevy dealership we have been dealing with is taking a plan to their board of directors....Whew...and I have to do it all again next Fri./Sat./Sun. in Chantilly. I think I just figured out what these shows are all about!! The heck with the customers!!LOL!! Best of all I learned all kind of trash on KB from one of his boyhood friends. Don't tell him but one of the trips I booked is a competitor of his on his tournament trail...hehehehe.

TOXIC

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I got a peck on the cheek today from one of the Skoal girls...who put the Hooters girls that were there to shame....pinch...pinch....yep , I wasn't dreaming!!

Tox, Like i've said, If they gotta hire you to find fish for 'em, I ain't worried about 'em. how much snow you get? Be careful about speading info that John gave ya. I might take offence to some of it!!!! LOL KB

Toxic,

what times will you be at the Chantilly show?

david....

Was good to see KB and Tox.

MAc, that is one cool logo!!!!!! You have some talent man!!!!!

Carlos

Hey Tox,

It isnt as easy as it looks is it? Especially when you are good.

Beforewarned that you have to watch what you do at these shows (I know you were only kidding, I hope) but the customer does come first!!! Also dont become a "product whore" and get free stuff from everyone, before you know it you will be labelled as a person with their handout....concentrate on what/who you are there for, the rest will handle itself. People will notice how hard you work and WANT to give you stuff EVEN more.

Mini

You are right mini. I was very careful not to appear like I just wanted product. Actually that is not the case at all. Yeah a lotta dealers/manufacturers will dole out product to see if you will bite but I'm only interested in the stuff that I use and there was one deal where where I would get a % of sales through dealers that I signed up to carry their product (cash deals are the hardest to get). I told them I would try it on the water and will let them know. If I like it and it works I will push it. I guess that after a few years of doing these shows, I am starting to see the "other" side. I actually had a lot of reps. and guides approaching me. The reason I get to network a little more is that the Richmond show is for Teddy's clients. Most of his clients are South mine are North. Chantilly this weekend will be where I get most of my trips. I'm gonna be like Mac and not spew the sponsors yet...I think it is bad luck till you sign on the dotted line. If they come through I'll be yellin it from the rooftops!! Like mini said, it is also hard to tell who is just jerking your chain to appear important and those who only want something in return from the "quality" folks who really want a mutual relationship. Those are few and far between. The sponsors you want don't come looking for you with free handouts. And mini, that's the reason I'm so worn out. The people do come first and every single one who stops (and there are a LOT) want to talk fishing and some even bring pictures!!LOL. And those that know me know I don't have a problem talking long and hard!! Last night I was horse and I didn't even give any seminars!!LOL!! I'm glad the show season is short (for me).

TOXIC

I hear ya bro....

That is the funniest thing about this business....

You can stand at a show all day and if you talk to 1000 people, you WILL hear a 1000 fishing stores!

Sounds like you got it down.....now we need to talk about All Star!

Mini

I only have a few sponsors Tox,...Ranger, Mercury, All Star Rods, (shut up Mini!!..LOL), Precision Plastics, Mustad, Lowrance, Guest, and Scales and Tales. Trying to please too many "bosses" is a major PIA!!!...be careful what you ask for!! LOL

Mac

EXACTLY Mac, you get too many and it's like being drawn and quartered. You get pulled from all angles. Nobody wins in that situation. Another thing you have to watch out for is the "political" ramifications of potential sponsors....there's no political gameplaying in fishing right???LOL The behind the scenes stories are numerous and it's impossible to keep up with them all. Sign 2 crankbait sponsors and watch what happens...You lose BOTH!!LOL. Many, many, times fishing takes a backseat. That's what most don't get. All of the other Lake Anna guides came over to see me and that made me feel like I may have dropped the "Rodney Dangerfield of Lake Anna" title.LOL

TOXIC

I don't know how Woo does it,......Lord almighty,..the dude's belly looks like the fender of a Winston cup car,...

Then again,...the higher up the shirt a logo is positioned is directly proportionate to the size of the check they send you every month too!! Paying Sponsors get the best position's on the shirts....product sponsors are all below the "paying" ones. The politics of fishing.....gotta love it!!

Speaking of politics.....check out the newest toon on my website!! THAT's the politics of fishing!! LOL!!!

IMHO - KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!) is the smartest philosophy to have in this business. Charlie Campbell passed those words of wisdom on to me many years ago and I still see it working today. My advice to anybody is don't try to put too much on your plate until (or unless) you're ready to handle it. Believe in yourself. Believe in your sponsor(s). Never jeopardize your integrity for ANY exceptions to the previous two beliefs. That type of honesty is what sells product.

For such a large industry, you'll find out that it often winds down to a small circle of friends. Loyalty is the highest compliment you can give any sponsor. Word that you have a lack of such gets around fast. I'm not saying that some mfr's don't change policy or just do wrong by a fella, making a reasonable man come to question that loyalty. I just see the opposite much more often. (I refer to loyalty purchased for, "twice as much 'X' as I got from last year's sponsor".) It would be comical if it wasn't so doggone sad. I know great fishermen/promoters that have jumped ship as often as the wind blows who can't find a sponsor now to save their life. Just my .02.

Hey Tox -- Just wanted to know if those "Skoal girls" were dipping??----------

Please let us know if you need to evaluate some cigars and refreshments-- Be glad to help and do some field testing--LOL

Congrats--"May the force be with you".--Play it cool..

Good luck - HaleDamage

Gee Skoal girls too? Hmm....Hooters Girls or Skoal Girls....I am torn!

Mini

PS I have been dippin' Skoal for longer than most members have been alive (26th year)

They were at the free handout "tent" for Skoal and Copenhagen. A blond AND a brunette in camo mini-skirts. I was gonna have a shot taken with them just for mini, then I was gonna go get friendly with the hooters girls and let him decide which were best but I left my camera at the booth. I get a ton of samples from them and I keep them in the boat for clients who forget or run out. Then I get to clean the spit off the back of the boat!! Myself, I do cigars most of the time. To see those girls usually there is a cover charge involved!!LOL

TOXIC

Dan,

I'm gonna make it a point to share a boat with you one of these days. You have a lot of perspective and 100% "on" insight. Mac's the same way...I'm more of the "bull in the China shop" type but I am learning to keep it under control. There are so many shortcuts and pitfalls in this sport when you turn it into a business. Mac has helped me out a ton and I lean on him a lot. Mini's got it together also. I'll be able to tell a lot more about those two when I get up and fish with them this summer (I hope). I haven't found anybody who can last a day on the water without showing their true colors.

TOXIC

Tox, you could spend a week with me in the boat and if I dont want to "give any info" I wont. But that wont be the case with you....

Looking forward to fishing with you (schedule permitting!)

Mini

LOL, yeah I suppose so, but I mean just "my take" on whether someone is genuine. I have no doubts about you two....shady right outta the gate!!LOL I really want to make it work this spring. I am giving up my Champlain trip so that I can come up (and let's not forget Carlos...I've got to have a bodyguard!!). Let's see what will I be pullin, a NITRO, Ranger or a Skeeter maybe....?????LOL

TOXIC

Tox - Anytime you're down this way, or I'm back up your way, I'd consider it a honor to share a boat. Mac is truly a class act. Although I haven't met Mini in person, I'm positive he is in the same ranks. From this board and other "friends of friends", I have never heard anything but praises on both of those gentlemen. You are in the most excellent of company!

Remember, "When you soar with eagles, the turkeys can't keep up!"

Well thank you for the kind words Dan....BTW have you seen/talked with Tim Norman lately? I did see Bob Funk in Vegas, figured I would see Tim there, but he was in Burbank working another show.

AND I want you to get me on spots like those!!!!

Mini

Wow,...Thanks for the compliments to both Tox and Dan,...and I think the same of you two as well...my trip to GA last year was awesome,...had a GREAT time there and Mr. Jorgenson went way above and beyond to make sure I was well cared for...he's the consumate Professional in every sence of the word!! Now if I can just get Mini to teach me something on the water....all he ever wants to do is eat my cookies and borrow my boat. (I do help myself to his jigs though!!..LOL) J/K!! Can't wait to fish the MBCF circuit this year....we WILL do very well IMHO!! C'MON SPRING!!!!

Mac

All of my very closest friends all fish,...and most of them, I've met since I started tournament fishing, with the exception of my home town buds,....but even they fish now!! LOL

I was thinkiong about the summer last night Mac. The federation has me fired up!!! Just imagine folks....Mac and Mini fishing TOGETHER....what a hoot!

Mini

It's the paychecks and the road trips that have me fired up dude!!! Man is this year going to be fun!!! Really REALLY looking forward to it!!!

Mini - Anytime your in the 'hood let's go! We've got some huge spotted bass down here. If you closed your eyes, you'd think they were smallies by their sizes and fight! (We've got smallies, too, but they're almost an hour away!)

Bob's a nice guy and incredibly down to earth. One of the easiest people to meet and get to know. Open and honest. I haven't talked to Tim since before Christmas. He's been hopping, though. Mustad keeps a great guy busy! He hardly has time for fishing! (Unless it's on a 52' sport-fish catching massive tuna, sailfish, shark......Lucky Dog!!)

Mac, Mini, you guys are fishing the classic series TOGETHER?!? Look-out! I'd love to get into that one, but I don't think we're ready for that level yet. When you get ready to pre-fish the northern event (is it Elk-Torch or Burt-Mullett), let us know. Maybe Marke and I can go up and help "eliminate" some water for you.

Craig

Dan,

I ahve caught them on KY Lake and Beaver (boy does that look funny?!?) lol I know they can fight, but I havent gotten into the size you do. Looking forward to it.

Craig, it is Burt and Mullet....get your jerkbaits ready if you want to go....dont forget your topwaters either....

This is my last trip to Burt and Mullet
MINI_BURT_LAKE_TOADS_SMALL.JPG

I have to chime in here. I have had the distinct pleasure of fishing with Mac and Mini on two separate occasions .No one has to convence me their good people.I was humbled to be able to spend time with them both on and of the water .As a team on the water it was as though their abilities,their talent was fused together forming one...heck of a good time.

It was the best time I have ever had crappie fishing!LOL

Mark

Back