Santee Cooper

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Ingersoll

Reaction score
I qualified for the weekend series National Championship on Santee Cooper November 6-12. I have never been to South Carolina. If anyone has info about the lake that they would be willing to share, email me a contact number and good time to call and I would love to hear what you have to share.

I am wanting to get some basic information, not looking for waypoints or anyone's secret spot, just stuff like; average weights in November, areas of the lake, which lake, basic patterns, popular colors, types of cover, etc.

I also see the lake is about 4 foot low right now and have heard there may be some hazards with running the lake. That has me a little concerned with keeping my boat in one piece!

I'm sure you will have some additional feedback, but Santee is notorius for ripping out lower units when the lake is at full pool. At 4' low . . . . .:wacko:

I would STRONGLY suggest you get there several days early and get a guide. When I fished there semi-regularly, always seemed to do better on the lower lake, but really never fished with anyone that knew the lower lake. Everything looks 'fishy' there. Biggest problem that you may find is 'finding the break line'. It is a very shallow fishery.

Any other info that I might have is old. I'll offer several pieces of advice.

1. If the wind is really up ( a distinct possibility in SC in the fall) - the lake(s) can be absolutely DANGEROUS! There was a FLW local event there a number of years ago where they lost 3-4 boats during the T.

2. While 'running' - STAY IN THE MARKED BOAT LANES!

A bait that I got some decent fish with was a 6" Green Pumpkin Zoom Trick Worm, or the 10" Monster. Fished around some of the docks (not all that many) and isolotated cypress trees (lots of them).

Good luck.

Tex

TT - we get 2 1/2 days practice before the tournament, the off limits and no-info starts Saturday night, gonna have to learn on the fly. I usually do better that way, but the low water has got me a little nervous.

JimmyE - I'll contact you this evening.

call RAY SEDGWICK......tell him Bob from Hawg Caller gave you his name...he owns Canal Lakes resort on Santee...and he guides...and has cabins...and ...awww he is Ray Sedgwick, one nice professional fisherman.....

best fishes

bob szymakowski

Back