Rub rail repair

• Thread starter David Munaretto
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Munaretto

Reaction score
This weekend I set out on the ritual powerwash and caressing wipedown of my 901, following last weekend's tournament. One of my buddy's called while I was rubbing her down with vinegar and water, and after a short discussion about how I was spending my afternoon, he suggested, "why don't you take care of those scratches in your rub rails?" OK, for those who are local to IL, I got some dock rash from Lake Geneva on the rails, where EVERY dock on the lake is painted white. Not cool, but no real damage other than whitemarks permanently affixed to the rails.

Naturally, I was interested, and so I asked what he suggested. I will post the secret formula he gave me, then my revised secret formula based on a little experimentation. Bottom line, the results were FABULOUS.

His secret formula-

220 Grit or better sand paper, used to rub out the scratches in the rails. (Worked like a charm, but dulled the surface to a matte black / gray

Followed by rubbing WD-40 into the rails to reinforce the shiny luster into the rubber (which of course is a semi-porous surface).

Needless to say, I was quite impressed with the initial test spot results... but then I got to thinking....

My revised secret formula -

Replace the WD-40 with "Tire Magic" tire shine (you know the tire wet stuff). It was meant to bring back the luster to tires, and let me tell you, you can't tell the difference from the original rub rails to what they are now.

Worked great!

David

Hey David, are you familiar with the Fox Chain? Well of course you are....

Anyway, we recently had a club tournaey up there. I caught 2 real nice LM's during practice. But I goose egged the day of the tournament. Wow the boat traffic!!! You can always look at girls out there to take your mind off the tough fishing on a blue bird sky 90 degree day I guess.

Anyway, I'm still curious as to how to fish that place. I couldn't seem to establish any sort of consistent pattern. Two good buddies are going back up this weekend for a Fed tournament.

Any pointers I could pass on to them? Thanks

By chance are you going to be fishing the US Angler's Choice tournament there this weekend? I may also be fishing it, got "clearance from the tower" but I haven't decided whether I want to waste my time fishing the Fox Chain...

David

No I'm not. There is a possibility I will have to go back there for our club classic though. I'm not enthused about going there ever again to be honest. I was just looking for a pointer or two for two guys in our club who are doing the IL Bass Fed tournament there this weekend. Is there also an Anglers Choice tourney there too this weekend? That'll make things a little more interesting for them too. Thanks

Back