Road Cover

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I think I asked this once before but do you guys/gals travel with your road cover on? I am debating whether I should put it on or leave it off on the way to KY. I just cleaned the boat so I want to keep dirt out but the straps leave black marks on the boat. I travel with it on alot but was thinking of leaving it off because the weather looks like there won't be any rain. Any opinions?

Leave it off if it marks your boat. BUT you then have to worry about the wayward cigarette tossed by another car....

Mini

It does mark your boatlike mini said but I keep mine on for the long hauls. The scuffs come out with a little polish(not wax)and the road dirt and stray rainshower stays out of your stuff. Also helps prevent the thieves from just grabbing anything they see. If you have a tin rig then you have shiney side rails which at least gives you SOMETHING that shines.LOL

fatrap

I'm using mine this trip, i've never taken my boat on an overnighter, but she's clean and want her to be that way when I get there!

I leave mine off. Any dirt that get caught between the cover and windshields, hull, etc, will scratch the surface it contacts. Plus even the "travel" covers will often rip on certain corners at 70 mph, unless you have a $500 top of the line, reinforced, custom cover that is matched to your rig. When you get there, just run it through a manual car wash real quick.

The heck with the dirt..... I worry about being able to see what's behind me. I've always trailered with the cover off.

My cover caught a big 'blob' of grease the last time I trailered to Kentucky...now my cover has a grease stain, but that's still better than trying to clean it off the carpet or seats...

If I'm going more than 1 hour away I always cover...

One other thing too:

You will get better gas mileage with a cover due to less wind resistance...

Gas just jumpped to $1.89 for regular unleaded here today...

az

I don't know if the cover offers LESS wind resistance. If it's not tight enough then you'll be dragging a parachute behind you.

My vote would be bring the Cover. Tow with it off and cover the boat at night.

Definatly "off". I tow to Wisconsin with mine off and cover it at night for the trip. I also do some little surprizes for thieves.

TOXIC

I use mine on road trips where the boat will be outdoors overnight. It keeps the dew off the seats and other gear. I believe it helps on gas mileage based on a 1000 mile round trip to Texas where it went with a cover and returned sans cover.

Back