rivets

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james cabagbag

Reaction score
When should one say no to a boat that has rivets. I was considering an all welded brand new v16 with 25 hp but then decided to go with maybe a 60 hp motor. Problem is that the price difference is catastrophic! I now have the option to buy a used 2002 v16 fully loaded with 60 hp merc for $9,000 or best offer. The motor is still under warranty. I got so excited until he sent me a picture of the boat. Guess what? It's got some rivets. Can an auto-bilge pump give me some peace of mind or should I go with the new boat at about $8,000 dollars more. The seller is more than willing to get on the water and do some hard water time to check for leaks. Should I chance it or pass it up altogether? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I mainly fish small to semi-big lakes and would pick my fishing days accordingly depending on weather.

James,

Speaking from experience, I haven't had a problem with rivets yet. My boat is a 1989 Guide V16 Special and the only time I have had to run the bilge pump was when fishing in heavy rains (or when I launch without the plug). We've had this boat since new and really haven't had any problems, actually everything is orignal except the trailer which I replaced this past year. We fish a wide variety of waters and don't have any problems, like you said you pick your days. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Adam

Adam, thanks for the prompt response. I've been shopping around for about 3 months. I'll be meeting with this gentleman this Saturday to test it on the water. If all goes pretty well I'm going to make him an offer and hope to be fishing from this boat real soon. Vacation is right around the corner and I've been really wanting to fish from a boat. I live in California; therefore, 4-stroke is a must which makes shopping for a used boat extremely difficult since most used boats being sold are 2-stroke.

You can also test it for leak while sitting on the trailer. Level the boat and fill the bilge with water and look for drips. An auto bilge is the way to go on any boat IMHO.

BF

You will have no problems with the deep V's in the Tracker line-up. Inside info...Just look at the distance between the DOUBLE rivets on a deep V vs. the distance between the SINGLE rivets on a mod V and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also they do not use seals where they mate together on a mod V. My bestest fishin' buddy has a 1990 Tracker Deep V16 w/40 HP Evinrude(all original) and it doesn't leak a drop. Not saying that "it couldn't happen" but it most likely won't. I had a 94 Mod V w/60 HP merc and it run fine but, leaked from day one and actually lost a rivet or two but, I did abuse the crap outta' that boat for 4 years.

be careful about filling a bout with water.

I have heard it is not good to do that

stresses it.

To put enough in to check for all rivits can damage structure

2000 Pro Deep V17. Last year I had it setting in Lake of the Ozarks for a week. Not one drop of water in the bildge. All rivits.

Like I said...shouldn't be a prob. You can visually inspet all rivets and check for any loose ones and you can check the bilge area for discoloration from water.

Back