Rigging Cranks

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Neeley

Reaction score
Just had a thought about a (new?) technique for Erie and the channels of St. Clair.

A whole lot of bass are caught by walleye anglers in 18-25 feet of water using bottom bouncers.

There aren't many crankbaits that can get down that deep.

What are your thoughts on rigging a shallow crank, or a rattle-trap behind a bottom bouncer and drifting down the channels???

I think this would be legal in tourneys as long as you're not trolling with the combustion engine.

In most bass tournament rules you can't troll... you may move while casting and retrieving... So Ken, instead of Bottom bouncers you might want to try a 1-2-3 oz "in line" lead weights.

Read a number of articles on C-rigging a crankbait. Just make sure that it's one that floats up.

You can leave the weigt in place on the bottom, and just simply work the line back and forth. You can actually make it swim back and forth in the same place.

Then drag/hop it 2-3 feet, and do it all over.

Tex

You can drift and drag in tournaments....it's not considered trolling as long as the combustion engine is off.

I agree on the C-rig....sometimes I'll throw it way out on the bottom and just start crankin' it up...you'll hit that strike zone sooner or later:)

We find smallies on the rocks here, big rocks, little rocks, boulders, jagged rocks...snag city....and the channels are full of rocks.

C-rigs and in-line weights tend to snag....whereas bottom-bouncers are ideal for this kind of structure.

Ken,

I'll get you a link to a company (if I can find it) that makes BBs that have a longer than normal leg for the weight...

Hey Ken, try the carilona rig idea. I've read several BASSmaster Mag. articles on that technique for smallies. I bet it would work great on Erie, and it's not something those big fish see very often.

Craig

I use Carolina rigs in rocks all the time and get hung up less than you think. A lot of people Ken use to light of weight(which will get you hung up more). I use no less than a 1/2 oz. most of the time. If you feel it snagging...just snap the rod tip high to get it free...you'll be surprised:)

Ken,

I believe when you use the trolling motor to drift it is called "strolling" and is frowned upon during tourneys.If the wind is blowing you along,you are OK.

I have used that rig with a Husky Jerk in the rivers and it works great for rocky bottoms.

Steve

In our federation tourneys, it is strictly forbidden to use a 'big motor'. Use of an the standard electric trolling motor while fishing is acceptable.

TEx

Steve,

Drifting is a fact of life here...often times we have to use drift socks and the trolling motor on high to slow us down!!!

As Tex says, as long as the combustion engine is off, you can drift and drag.

I hate days like that.

The whole weekend at KY lake,I ran my motor on 5 just to keep in one spot.Those are days where I like to sit in the local bar and talk about fishin'.

I hear ya Steve, but up here it's the rule rather than the exception.

Wind - One thing about that Tracker, you blow all over the place while the glass boats are just sitting in one spot. Makes me jealous.

Hmmm..Since drift fishing is legal...Why not use a 1/2 or 3/4 oz. Rattle Trap and rip-it up off the bottom? Bet it'd work:)

Back