Restocking the Tackle Box

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
I took inventory last night and it's time for the big annual order from BPS. There are a few areas I need to fill.

What brand do you suggest for a good spinnerbait and buzz bait, around $3-4? I usually stick to yellow, white, and black. Any other colors I should have?

For topwater, I use spooks alot. I have a good assortment of frogs and poppers. Anything else I really need for topwater?

Best hook size for 7" worms? I usually stick to size one and two but I wanted to know your preferences. An old guy I fish with says to never use a hook with a bend at the top but, should always be a straight shank, then I have a hard time rigging the worm straight so whats you opinion on that?

I am bored at work today. Can you tell?

For top water, try a couple Rapala skitter walks, and skitter pops. I like those baits.. btw, check out the salt water versions of these baits.. pretty cool colors and come with heavier hardware, split rings and hooks...

I like the bass pro spinnerbaits alot, the enticer is a nice one for the cash.

For texas rig worms i mainly use a 2/0 straight shank hook. i find i miss less fish the the straight shank. Rigging them is not hard, you need to put the hook in at an angle to the worm, not straight like a bent hook.

OK, Teri.....

Post an address - any address!

We'll all send you one of our favorite lures to try out!

I don't think too many would take you up on that idea. I wanted suggestions not donations. :)

Well then..... E-mail me your address. (I promise not to abuse it!) I'll send you one of my favorite spinner baits.....

And maybe..... If you're lucky..... Even a pink wooly-bugger or two! Hand-tied by your's truly!

What does one do with a wooly-bugger? Isn't that for fly fishing?

Yes..... BUT.....

I tie them weighted and then fish them on ultra-light tackle. They are the Ultimate finesse bait!

Look at Lunker Lure (not my sponsor)for Spinnerbaits and Buzzers, also check out Pop R's...Whatever topwater you get make sure the rear hook is feathered. If Staci is bored we can all send about 100 trebels each to her and let her tie feathers on them.

Also take a look at Retriever Lurers (my sponsor) www.retrieverlurers.com They are very good quality and reasonably priced. Look at the position of the wire on the buzzbaits, it works.

Hooks, Gammie 3.0 ewg, offset shank. Good universal hook. It is not the length of your lure it is the width..If I were throwing a thick hand dipped tube Texas style, I might move up to a 4 or 5.0.

TOXIC

Well, it appears I have been using the wrong size hook. I mainly use bungee worms and they seem to rig nicely on a 2.

I always use the biggest hook I can get away with...meaning, until it starts to effect the lure, I use it...mostly 4/0 for worms and lizards...5/0 for tubes...

smaller hooks if using finesse plastics...

always Gammy EWG...

az

Teri,

If you would like to buy some really nice spinnerbaits (very high quality), try SOB lures. Owners name is Bill Dee. For the most part, I purchase from him (spinnerbaits), exclusively. He makes them custom to order, and are not really too expensive.

They have a new 'mini-me' version for spots/smallies that I'm going to order. Link below.

For worm fishing, I use Gamagatsku (spelling), 3/0 or 4/0 EWG hooks, for larger worms. Finese worms (3, 4 and 5"), I use 1/0, 2/0 and sometimes 3/0 EWG's).

Tex
http://www.soblures.com/

Take a look at Nichols spinnerbaits. A little higher priced ($5.00-$7.00), but worth it. Try one in a translucent color, or one with a silver and clear skirt. I like a straight shank hook for worms, 2/0 3/0 4/0. Use the wide gap hooks for tubes and creatures, 3/0 is as small as I would go. 4/0 and 5/0 better.

Craig

Pick yourself up some 10" to 12" worms if you spend a lot of time doing top water. I always have a 10" power worm rigged weightless with a 3/0 that I use as a throw back and fishing pockets in weeds/ pads/ other cover... Throw it out and let it sit... BANG!

David

MAC - you should whip up a weekly cartoon featuring the woogly BOOGER... ROFL

David

TEE will back me up on this one....Bandit crankbait in Rootbeer 200 or 300 seris....enough said

Donnnie, you made a typo:

Bandit crankbait in Rootbeer 200 <b>and</b> 300 series... no "or" about it, gotta have both!

Try a Storm rattling chug bug in bleeding shad for top water.Just walk it and hang on.......

Terri,

I'm sold on the Rick Clunn 5 series rattling crankbaits, at least in the last year, they've outfished anything I've used as far as crankbaits, I don't know if it's confidence or what, but I'm sold on 'em, haven't had anything but success with 'em.

Also, I like the Skitter walks and Skitter pops by Rapala, and at least one or two of the Snag Pruf Tournament Frogs ought to get ya started, egMike

Back