Replacing fender bunk

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Gregan

Reaction score
Just returned from a musky trip on the French River in Northern Ontario. Had a good trip except for the black flies. They were out in force. Owner of the lodge said it was the worst he had seen in 35 years. Lost about 2 pints of blood to the little suckers.

Took one hour at the boarder to get back into the US. Crossed at Lewiston near Buffalo.

After launching the boat in Canada I noticed a chip in the fiberglass from where the hull rests near the fender bunks. Some exposed wood on bunk probably the culprit. (2001 Nitro 750 NX / trailstar trailer) I took the fender off and fixed the chip but saw that the fender bunk needed to be replaced and or recarpeted. I read John Foster's post on replacing the bunks but that does not deal with fender bunks. My question is do I replace the carpet with regular marine carpet (which appears to be what was on there originally or go with bunk carpet. I would have to section the carpet if using bunk carpet vs marine carpet because the width is only 12" on the bunk carpet and the fender bunk is 23" wide. Also does type of wood matter (pine or oak) for bunk?? I am taking Mr. Foster's advise and sealing wood etc.

By the fender bunk are you talking about the inside of the fender or the fender well? The half-moon part? First of all the carpet on your bunks should be marine carpet. Interior grade or even some indoor/outdoor carpet will be laminated with a latex binder that will de-laminate with repeated dunkings. Marine grade carpet has a black rubber "marine" back". That's the stuff used on your bunks... it may come in various widths and colors. If you have some "bunk" carpet leftover from re-covering your bunks that's 12" wide you can use it but you'll have a seam that will cause you grief later on. I would suggest going to the carpet store and buying a piece of of marine carpet in what ever color matches best. It will probably come 6' wide... no doubt you'll have some left over. I used exterior grade carpet adhesive on the inside (next to the boat side) to glue the carpet and then stapled the outside (tire side) and then spray painted it with some black Krylon.

As far as the wood goes can you not re-use the wood that was on the trailer? If not, I think a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" exterior grade plywood should last a long time.

I hope this answers your question. :)

It is the half moon bunks on the wheel wells. I think I am going to order some marine carpet from Cabela's which looks pretty close to what was on there. I couod probably get away with using the same wood because it does not appear to be in that bad a shape. I really don't wannt to deal with a seam & that is why I cant use the "bunk carpet". Thank you for your help.

By the way it might be a good idea to check that particualr area of your boat when launching because when on the trailer it is hidden by the wheel well bunk and when your boat sits in the water it is just at the waterline.

Yep regular marine carpet works just fine. I had to redo the ones on my old 882's trailer because they fell off. They were just attached with some sheet metal screws. I dont think they stayed on an entire season( I have already had one lost on my z7 trailer too). I made them out of 3/8" pressure treated plywood. I used marine carpet and some 3m adheasive and monel staples to hold it on. One other thing i did that you may want to look into is how i attached them. beforei put the carpet on i predrilled holes and put in stainless tee nuts. Then i was able to attach it to the trailer using machine screws and a dab of loctite. They stayed put for 6 seasons after i built mine.

I should have mentioned that too. I recovered mine on my PT-185 when I recovered my bunks. However, on my 591 on of the fenderwell covers started flapping on my second or third trip. The factory simply did a sloppy job of screwing them on, in fact completly missing two of the predrilled holes. I couldn't get in between the boat and the finder very good with a screwdriver so I had to cut the screws and push them through. After I got the liner off I lined it up and drilled some new holes and bolted it back on with SS screws and nylocks.... oh yeah, fender washers too.;)

I don't remember having the space issue with the Tracker. I guess there's more room between the boat and the fender well.

I took a good look at the wood and it seems fine so I am re-using it. I am ordering Maine Carpet form Cabela's. I have the wood sealant and I think I am all set. I am glad I read a post awhile back mentioning that you can unbolt the fender from the trailer. I assumed that they were welded to the trailer. Probably would have launched the boat to fix the bunk. Soonerfan, you were right about the way the bunk is attached to the fender, flimsy at best. I am taking the advise I read and using stainlees steel small screws or bolts to re-attach. Thanks again fo the help.

Larry, you jogged my memory. That's how I did it on my Tracker. I un-bolted the fender. I don't know why I didn't do that when I had to do the repair on the 591.:wacko:

Latest posts

Back