Replacing deck/plywood question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Chris

Reaction score
I am in the process of replacing the carpet in my old TX-17 and pulled up the old plywood deck/floor in the process to inspect/repair a couple rivet leaks (BTW the 3M aluminum repair glue stick from Cabellas works great)Marine plywood is not stocked in my area so my father who lives closer to major boat water found a sheet for me (told me it was my birthday present)I'm probably the only guy who ever recieved plywood for his birthday. Anyway, my question: Have any of you just used a regular sheet of treated plywood for this and did it work all right? I was afraid to go this route even though it is available in my area and is half the price of marine ply. any thoughts?

If I had the deck off and had accsess...I would replace the rivets instead of patchin'. One missing rivet can hurt the integrity and strength of other rivets and cause them to become loose and leak. I'd go over all of them...just my 2 cent....

TEE

Chris

I've done this on several occasions to other people's boats. By all means use Marine plywood if you can. It's hard to find here in Iowa so I use treated exterior plywood and coat all surfaces and cut ends with a 50/50 mixture of polyurethene and really lay it on thick. Two coats is even better. Then install your carpet. I also treated all bolts going through the wood with the urethene sealer. The 81 Tracker II we did about fifteen years ago is still good but it's also stored inside.

fatrap

Also I've never had any of the glue junk that's suspose to mend aluminum last more than a few years. Something about different expansion and contraction rates, plus I swithed to glass in 93

Tell your dad thanks.In my area marine plywood is around $80 a sheet.

chris,

you can use 100% silicone and get better results than alum glue. because the silicone expands without breaking. i used some as a temp repair in florida and it lasted 2 weeks and did not allow any water in even after the 10 mile one way daily run.

Back