Rainsuit Deal

• Thread starter Scott Hammer TOXIC [URL]http://www.sportsmansguid
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a nice price if you like yellow and are L or XL. Thanks for sharing, alas while I like the yellow, L and XL sailed away on me.

Great deal Tox! Thanks for sharing. BPS had a similar in-store only sale last fall at the Hanover, MD store and I picked up a FT suit for about that price. Problem was the L's were in short supply - plenty of M's and S's, though!

Large is right up my alley.

And for the price, I don't mind looking like a big bannana.:rolleyes:

How do you guys like the FT's ??? I may just order a pair, but have never used them befere.

Are the comfortable ??? Breathable ??? DRY ????

They are good (especially the upper end models) but for me just didn't hold up to the stress of guiding (and my big rear):lol:. They are getting better since I used them but now I have a BPS 100mph suit and a set of their light rainwear for the summer. For the weekend guy they would be fine and they do a very good job of keeping you dry. I also see they are the bibs...that is the way to go.

TOXIC

Just bought an 'extremely large set' (not sure how many xxx's!) for my bass club outings in the nicer time of year. Still use my Cabela's Guidewear in the Winter, and other colder times.

Tried them on and they are nice for a lightweight suit. Like others, had to select the color by size availability.

Tex

Would that make a good rain suit for me should I ever return to St Clair?

Those suits are like $189 for the top and $189 for the bibs!!!!!! I just can't see spending that for something I would only use once or twice a year.

Toggs (the "pro" model or above) would work fine unless it gets very cold. You can layer underneath them. Just get the next size up. The ones I had were like a Fed-X envelope and I ripped the pants in 2 sets. They balled up (like sweaters do) after a few outings also.

TOXIC

Personally I dont like the FroggToggs for fishing. They do an adequate job in a medium downpour as long as they are new. They m,aterial will not hold up to the kneeling and squatting (or actually dancing around and holding on for dear life in waves higher than your house) that we do around here....

The 100mph or ProQualifier suits are incredibly good. The Cabela's GuideWear is good too. I had one, got it the year before I signed with Bass Pro and had to sell it. I was bummed until I got a 100mph suit. I now own 2 100mph suits and the ProQualifier suit.

:)

Teri,......spare no expense on a rainsuit.....trust me...once you get wet and cold..it's all over....you'll freeze your tush off and that's NO fun!! Besides,..you can wear it year round.....doesn't have to be for "just" fishing....wear it on the fall...to football games, 4 wheeling, etc..etc. So what if you have to keep a vehicle for another MONTH because you bought a GOOD rainsuit.....you're hiney will thank you the next time you're outside and it's pouring.....you'll be dancing in the rain!!;):rolleyes:

I bought the Fed-x envelope version of Frogg Toggs a few years back and wore them one time. I was soaked the first time a wave crashed over the bass boat I was in on Champlain. Then I bought the BPS gore-tex bibs (model below 100MPH bibs at that time) and the 100MPH parka later. World of difference!!

Teri, just spend the cash for the BPS raingear....pretend it's like buying a new car!!

Bob G.

I have a paie with the bibs and they are great for packing around and not takong up much space. Have only had to use them a couple of times and so far so good. I don't really think they would hold up under a lot of use though. They are very light. The 100 mph or the pro quallifier are definitely a better suit, just remember that you get what you pat for!!

Tim

The only thing I did't like (when I was shopping) about the 100 mph suits, is that the 'bib' had no zipper. Not sure if that it still the design or not, but that was a big drawback for me. That, and I really couldn't find one that fit well. Haven't checked on the Pro-Qualifer version.

I've fished in a steady rain (sometimes a downpour) in my Guidewear while the temp never got above 43 degrees one February. Was dry as can be, other than feet got cold after that long.

Try and find (if you live close to both BPS and a Cabelas) the best 'fit' for your body style. Be sure to sit; kneel; squat; bend over; etc - before buying. Some folks like one style/brand, and others like the other.

Tex

Boy do I agree with Mac.. I've had too many rain suits that allowed rain into every seam and I ended up just as wet as if I hadn't worn anything..So I finally bought a Pro Qualifier suit and it's great. I didn't think I needed the 100 m.p.h. suit and the Pro Qualifier cost enough for me.:rolleyes: At the price of those Frog Togs, it might be worth it to buy a pair just to keep in your boat for emergencies but I don't think they will last very long if used all the time.

Uncle Billy

The bibs on the ProQ are a bit nicer in my opinion. I have the "old" 100mph and the new 2008 version and the gusset on the front zipper of the 100mph bibs is a pain. The ProQ has a double zipper....MUCH easier to do the deed in the rain. They also have 2 way side zippers that go all the way to the hip. MUCH easier to get on and off especially with big boots...(big boots=big feet=big?????, no pictures...lol)

Ideally I would recommend the ProQ bibs and the 100mph parka.

Hey yteri, spend the cash on teh good rain gear...will last a LONG tiem with casual use and you will really really appreciate when you get in the goo and have it on hand (only works when you have it with you, do not ask)

I have the Cabelas insuliated. good stuff and has held up nicely too. Course, if I was a BOS guy, i would have some of that too!

Rain out here as heavy as you're talking about always comes with lightning. No rainsuit has protection against that. "Gees, old Mart was out in his 100 MPH and got struck by lightning." "Yeah, that is sad, but boy ... was he dry!"

You are right on about that Marty. We never fish in thunderstorms but we do in some heavy downpours. Add cold weather in the mix as well as running across the lake to get to shelter and you need the extra protection. We got chased all over the lake last year at St. Clair, you would cast and although your lure would go in the water, your line would arc up in the air. That's when you know it's time to put the graphite lightning rods, er...I mean fishing rods down!! I actually had sparks jumping off my reel when I would retrieve. Talk about "charged" air!!

TOXIC

When that happens you are late in the move.....DANGEROUS!

Had it happen too many times and had seen lighting hit an island less than 300yds away...

Just to be clear, no comment I made should be interpreted as criticism of snivel gear or of those who wear it.

Marty,

For one you are in context! No problem. I am all about snivel gear..btw have not heard that saying in a couple of years at best....former military???

No kidding Mini....done in the tight spot......I for one would not mind missing that this year.....

Latest posts

Back