Question on the Price of a Boat

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Castineira

Reaction score
Well I'm in the market for a new boat and driving home today I speed past one on the side of the road that I quick U-Turned and took a look at. Well it turned out that it was a 1999 Lowe 170 with a 1999 50 HP Johnson 2-stroke. This boat was super clean, motor looked in great shape, hull looked as if it was loaded all of 5 times, it had a decent fish finder and a brand new MinnKota PowerDrive 50lb trust motor. The price was 7 grand, In short is this a decent deal and should I jump on this. Has anyone had any experience with this boat and motor, anybody here anything.

Thanks, CHRIS CAS

Sounds a litle high to me, this is an 9 yr old rig. Go to NADA.com and you can look up boat values.

I'm not the grand-poobah of prices but I'm with Berry, except that I think it's more than a 'little' high.. Three yrs. ago I went and looked at a 1996 Tracker so the dates of looking are just about the same for you and I. I found a 1996 Tracker PT-17 with a

40 h.p. and it was all super clean.. I didn't even try to negotiate when the gentleman said he wanted $3,500. for it because it was so clean.. Again, I agree with Berry and would do what he suggested and that's to go to NADA.Com and see what they have to say. If more questions pop up than you had at first just come-on back here..

Uncle Billy

Chris - agree with the posts. NADA lists a 99 Lowe 170 with trailer (sans motor) at $3300 for average retail. The motor itself lists between $1145 to $1200. So the package you're looking at averages around $4400 to $4500. Even if you throw in a few hundred for the newish trolling motor, that's still way below what he's asking. See if the seller understands his boat is a bit overpriced in an economy when boats simply aren't selling. If not, there are better deals out there.

Chris- Seems way high to me. I sold my 2000 Pro Crappie 40 MERC fully loaded (2 fish finders saftey/swimning ladder, on board battery charger, always garage kept.... 3 years ago I sold it for $6500in weeks because I had found the next one. I figured if I had priced it $7000 I might get it but might take 6 months.

This Lowe is a year old, hair bigger motor, nis now 10 years old, where mine as 7 when I sold it asking 7K. If the boat is in great shape, and you've test driven it, then offer him 5500 and you are able to return free of charge for full refund i the mechanic does't feel its strong/right. Then work you way up the price mark till a happy medium if found. If he won't get to a price you are comfortable to buy outfight, then walk away and keep looking.

Trep

Latest posts

Back