Question for 16ft owners

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis swift

Reaction score
Hi everyone, i'm looking at buying a used older tracker this spring. I'm thinking about the 17ft but i'm really leaning toward the 16footers at this time for towability, and store abiltiy in my garage and trying to get it in my back yard for storage. For you guys that own the 16 footers, do they handle well? How do you guys like them? I"m going to be fishing small waters most all of the time, so it won't be a big deal to have one. I know everyone will say get the biggest motor you can afford but, again, i'm going to be buying used so I won't have alot of choice. How will a 25 hp motor push a 16 footer along? How new of a boat will I be looking at if I have $3000 and under to spend? Thanks for your help everyone, love the site. Haven't posted much but, view everyday!

Travis

I don't own one personally but, ride in my buddies ALL original 1990 DV16 with a 40 Evinrude all the time and that sucker just won't quit;)

Just don't be in a hurry and you'll find what you want with a 40 for that price...year wise will depend on conditon. My buddy could get that right now out of his 90' cause he keeps it garaged.

Hello

I own a PT165 with 25 4-str, I usually get 26 mph gps with a full tank of gas all my stuff and my fishing buddy. If I fill up the live well, I tend to go around 25 mph. Mind you this is dependent on water conditions. Handling is good it does tend to slip out and WOT and cutting into a really deep curve . I have fished for salmon and lake trout in 2 to 3 foot swells in quabbin Res handle like a dream got a little wet..

thanks

X

X - Does your 25 have the power Tilt/Trim?

Travis - I'm with Tee, see if you can hold out and find a 40 hp, you'll have the Power Tilt/Trim that most 25 hp don't (that will definetly help getting more performance and handling out of the boat).

thanks for the replys so far, anyone else that would like to chim in on any of my questions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

travis

Travis - if garagability is an issue, consider the fact that the PT165's have trailers with standard trailer tongues that don't swing away. The PT175 does (or at least for the MY 2002 & 2003's when I was shopping). I originally started with going after a 165 as well. I ended up with the 175 after looking at all the feature differences. One of the key's (for me) was that with the swing away tongue, I could fit the 175 into the garage. Without it, even the 165 wouldn't fit.

Just a thought, plus it may be a lot easier to find a used 175 with a 40hp than a 165 with a 40.

JC

Jim,

I've forsure gave that some though also. My only problem is that I don't have the funds to buy that new of a boat, so the only one's I can afford are going to be the older models which don't have the swing away tounge for either one. Thanks for the suggestion though. I think the older model boats 89 and later, I'm not sure of the deminsions but, they shouldn't be near as wide and maybe not as long as the newere ones?

thanks,

travis

You should be able to find a boat like a Pro 17 around 1991 or so with a 40 or 50 hp for the money you are looking to spend.

I paid a little over 3 grand for mine with a galvanized trailer and a SS prop with a 50 Mercury on it. Since I've had it I re-carpeted it,new floors,new wiring,trolling motor and new fish finders.

The boat is an absolute tank,it leaks around the rivets but is nothing to worry about. If I was doing it again,I would not hesitate buying an old Tracker to run.

With any older boat,be prepared to get your hands a little dirty.

Here's a link to one on our swap and sell page.It's a little more than you are looking for,but it will help to you show what to expect price wise.
http://nitroowners.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=SWAP&VIEW=690039&LAST=6/5/2005_3:40:49_PM

X - Is that standard (do you know) on the 4 stk? I know when I bought my 2000 175 the 2 stroke 25's did NOT offer power T/T, thats one of the reason's I invested the additional $$ into the 40 merc. Thats good, as you know the performance is greatly enhanced AND having fished river's with my Tracker, sitting up front drifting down it was REAL nice to power tilt that thing up when I saw the rocks!!

Hey trepman

No it was extra $$ for the PT. Overall it helps be gain about 2mph, but I have heard so 165 owners with my set-up hitting up 28 mph. I love it but it is easy to over rev the motor becuase the motor does not need that much adjustment getting on plane. But I really got the PT because there is no way I am lifting 172 pounds everytime I need lift that motor!!:)

X

I'm with ya on lifting the motor, did that with my first boat a 14 ft jon with a 5hp mariner!

Back