PT 190 Upgrades

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dick Huard

Reaction score
Will be picking up my new boat in a couple of weeks. Would like some opinions on upgrades. I want to get the Minn Kota 55 Power Drive with auto pilot and universal sonar, add a second trolling motor battery, and install the guest 2620a onboard battery charger. Is there anything you would change or add to my list ? The boat is the PT 190 with 90 opti.

Thanks

i would consider going with a larger trolling motor55 sounds kinda small for a 19 footer, maybe consider a 70 lb thrust model miniumum

Call a repair shop on the minn kota you like, i heard they have alot of problems with the auto pilot.

mike

Dick - You got a bow mounted trolling motor yet? Spare tire and mount? Rod Holders? Just a few of the things I did to my PC 175 to get you thinking...

Trying to decide on the trolling motor. I think I will take the suggestion to upgrade to 70 lb. I will also add the spare tire and mount.

Thanks for the input. Has anyone heard anything, good or bad about the universal sonar?

I'd upgrade to a 24V Tm, probably a MK 80# minimum. I have the AP & have yet to get 1 whole day with it functioning properly. This year I upgraded to a Co-Pilot addon. In my opinion, the Auto Pilot is not worth the money. I've had mine re-calibrated twice last season by a factory warranty rep & it still never worked right. The universal transducer on the other hand is wonderful & a very good option.

Get a spare tire mount, but if they are selling you a Tracker bias ply tire, pass & go with a Goodyear Marathon, as you'll be upgrading to those on the trailer in a short while anyways.

Boat Cover, I bought a Tracker labeled cover to fit my Targa & after only 2 road trips (short trips, maybe 300 miles total for both), it started to fray & tear. You will want a cover, but think about a custom made cover by a local boat cover shop made to exactly fit your boat.

Upgrade locator(s) if within budget. You want a color unit on the console, & a bow mounted one also if you will be usually fishing from the front casting deck.

Height adjustable seat pedestals for the front & rear decks are nice if you plan long days where leg fatigue becomes an issue. The factory seat pedestals are way too short (at least for me, I'm 6'2").

Boat Buckles in place of the factory transon tie downs.

KeelShield is a must in my book also. Aluminum or not, you still will take comfort knowing it's under there each & every time you beach the boat. My dealer thought I was nuts wanting one on my Targa, but I had to remind him "who's money it was".

Ram Mount rod holders. The Ram 2000's are nice, I have 6 of them. I fish walleyes a lot where trolling is a must do, but even if your going after bass or pan fish, eventually, you'll want to set down a rod to take a break, or rig a 2nd rod, etc. Comfort is knowing if a Musky should take the bait while the rod is unattended on the deck, it can't pull the entire rod in because it's in a quality rod holder.

If you getting a 90 Opti, you most likely will want a Stanless prop to properly utilize all the raw power you will have at your beckon.

How's that for an expensive upgrade list on short notice to think about it?.....LOL

Maj

Definitely go bigger then a 55lb troller. I upgraded my PT185 from a 45lb motorcr*p to a 74lb Maxxum and it was the best investment I've ever made. I understand Tracker wants to make the base price cheap, but putting a 45lb troller on an 18.5 foot boat?!?!?

I got a refurbished one from these guys for $520.....would have been 650-700 anywhere else.

http://www.trollnmotors.com/

I also recommend the boat buckles that someone else mentioned. They are a great convenience for the price.

Ditto on the bigger trolling motor. Just got my PT 185 in October upgraded the trolling motor to a 24v 74 lb Minn Kota. Glad I did. Also, get them to throw in the travel cover.. They gave me one at BP in Harrisburg. Great item. Just made a trip to North Carolina the travel cover was great. It's tight fitting and had no problems driving 70 mph for over 500 miles.

Agree with the others on the trolling motor.

I have a 55lb on my 17 footer, and it is just enough.

Somewhere in the 80lb range would suit that boat better. And since you are adding a second battery,make it a 24v.

Sounds like you are getting a nice boat. Enjoy.:)

Steve

Dick,

Boat covers__ I had a custom fit on my NitroNX750 for over a year. I ordered it online from BPS. Its not the tracker cover. I now have the same cover for my PT 175. I have had no problems with either of them. Note---I do not keep the boat covered while trailering. Its just as easy for me to cover it up when I get there if I am staying overnight. Im would imagine any cover will tear eventually with 60-70 mile an hour winds hitting it all the time. ( not discrediting Major Marks post about his cover)

The Tracker covers you purchase a BPS are around $350

The covers you can get online BPS (custome fit) = $279

It may be the same cover just cheaper on the Internet, but I dont think so???????????

Ive seen the boxes at BPS behinde the service desk and they look nothing like the one I got.

Jaws

Thanks jaws. A cover is included with the purchase of this boat. The dealer said it was a travel cover. I feel the way you do, that most covers will probably wear pretty quickly if you travel at high speed. I will surely find out, since I do a lot of my fishing at pretty good distances from where I live (southern NH). I fish in Maine as much as I do in NH.

Dick

The travel cover is a nice cover. I don't use it for close to home trips. I do put it on the boat when its parked in my driveway. Over winter I also cover that with another tarp from Kmart for $20. For long trips the travel cover works well. It fits tight and doesn't flop around much at high speeds.

I was wondering how the painted aluminum is holding up as I think Mrs. Oldgringo would look good in an upgrade from our 2003 PT 185 to a Pt 190. I am also considering a stern ladder in the event of... Otherwise, definitely upgrade to at least a 24v TM and a bow mounted depthfinder of your choice. If you can't keep the boat in a garage, a cover will pay for itself over time at resale.

Back