PT 185 Question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason L

Reaction score
Is this the modified V hull or the deep V hull model? Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-18ft-Bass-Tracker-PT185-Boat-w-90hp-Mercury-Motor_W0QQitemZ4643465266QQcategoryZ63724QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

All the PT series boats are the Mod V hulls. I have a 2001 PT-185 and I can tell you for sure it makes a good fishing boat as long as you're not wanting to run with the big dogs in the big tournements on big water. The PT-185 will serve you well for bass and crappie fishing with your family and with the 90hp you'll be able to pull a tube without a problem. My boat has a 50hp and I can pull a teenager on a tube and hit 32 or 33 mph. With the 90hp I would guess that your top speed will be in the 40 mph range...plenty for recreational fishing on small to medium size lakes. One item you'll want to upgrade on the boat you're looking at is the trolling motor. The 43# thrust trolling motor that Tracker ship their boats with is just not enough for anything but the smallest calmist water. I installed a Minn Kota All Terrain 55 on my boat within a year of buying it. I wish I had more thrust but that's as big as you can get without going to a 24 volt system and adding batteries which there is no room for on the PT-185 without major modification.

One more tip....if you want to post a link in your post, use the box below and it will make it an active link. Then your reader won't have to cut & paste to view your link.;)

Harpo
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005...QQcategoryZ63724QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphot

ugh, I just noticed that place to add links at the bottom. LOL.. Thanks Harpo

Thanks Tim. I replied.

That's a sharp looking boat. I have a 175 and have been really happy with it. I don't do any local tournament trails though. One thing that jumps out at me is the salt water use. :unsure:

That boat has been listed about 6 times now. I emailed the seller about it and all I ever got was somewhat nasty replies. It has been used in salt water so good luck with it for whoever eventually buys it. Personally I wouldn't go near it.

They are also claiming the painted trailer is an upgrade to the galvanized version. Hmmmm...... Bet that painted trailer works well in the salt water too??????:(

"the painted trailer is an upgrade to the galvanized version" Nope, its actualy as most folks know just the opposite, in 2000 when I bought my PC 175 brand new the galvanized was like a $600 upcharge if I remember correctly.

I agree with the others, be wary of any regular boat/trailer used in saltwater that wasent' made for it (like some of the new PT boats and other tracker boats offer a "salt water" package of special wiriing harnesses that are less prone to rusting then normal wiring).

Have you taken a look at rtlo's PT 175, I thought I was anal about taking care of it, his looks newer then in the showroom!!! LOL rtlo have been talking about mods to our Nitros for a while, good guy.

Soonerfan,

You don't have room in your 185 for three batteries? I have a '98 PT185 and I was able to add a third battery in my boat. I have the three batteries just side by side. Maybe the newer boats have a different configuration ???

Alex, honestly I never tried to fit 3 batteries in the batery compartment but it sure doesn't look like it would fit. Especially with the giant Everstart Maxx that I have now. When I put it in I had to replace the stock battery tray that went east/west and put in a bigger one that went north/south (if that make sense). Anyway I guess a guy could upgrade to a 24v TM if he used smaller batteries and fit them in tight.

Harpo

Back