Prop question

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Down here in Louisiana you try to run an aluminum prop & you will be replacing it after every outing. There are too many stumps & other obstacles in the lakes around here to run aluminum props; they break too easily.
I have run Stainless props since 1978 and they have to be replaced some also. I have have had to replace over a dozen stainless props. most from throwing ears form the ones with welded ears on the barrel and other things. But by far stainless is the way to go. Haven't had as much of a problem since they have started molding them.

I want to thank everybody for their input and knowledge on this matter. I think the big lesson for me is to not buy anything as important as a prop over the Internet. From now on I think I’ll pay a little more and stick with local brick and mortar marina’s/shops. At least I could return it or they could repair the problem, (at a minimum I could reach across the counter if they didn’t ). Still haven’t heard back from Solas nor iBoats so I think any advice or help from either of them is done.
Based on what Kirby, Tommy and others have suggested I am going to find a prop shop and have the new prop tested for balance and hopefully repaired.
Again thanks for your interest and help.

Just purchased a new stainless Solas prop for my 1999 Tracker Pro Team 185 w/90 horse motor. I actually bought it from iboats. I used the Solas prop finder to ensure I was ordering the correct prop for my boat and motor. Received the prop as promised. Installed it and headed for the lake to test it. Regretfully there is a vibration from 400 to 600 rpms and about 4500 rpms. There is also a new noise during the vibration. Called iboat to make sure I had the correct prop for my motor. They did a three way conversation with the Solas rep who verified that the prop was correct. He verified their prop assistant did indicate the prop I ordered was shown on their prop finder assistant and was sold for my boat and motor. What he said next was that they don’t recommend stainless props for motors under 100 to 110 hp because of the additional weight (basically stainless props to heavy for smaller motors). My question was then why does Solas sell it and offer it as an option on their website and prop finder tool. Sadly, iboats does not allow returns or refunds once the prop has been in the water. So, I’m out over $300.
Curious if anyone is running stainless props on a 90 horse (or smaller) Mercury.
Any thoughts? The rep from Solas did say it wouldn’t hurt the lower unit or motor to continue using the Solas prop, I’m not so sure.
I have a 17dc with a stainless laser2 on it and have zero vibration. My top end is about 44mph gps. I wouldn’t think the little bit of extra weight would cause a vibration. It sounds like more of a balance issue to me 🤷‍♂️

Latest posts

Back