props

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Mitchell

Reaction score
I read in a message some time ago about someone plugging the holes in his Merc prop. Is this the vent holes or what does this mean? Also what does it do? How do you do it?

thx

my Merc Trophy Plus has 4 removable plastic plugs in front of the prop blades, that when removed allow some of the exhaust to escape in front of the blades instead of thru the hub. That allows the prop to spin more freely when going for hole shot, thus getting you up on plane faster. I personally have 2 of the 4 removed for my particular rig's best performance. Once you get up to a higher speed, the pressure from the passing water, makes the exhaust go out the hub then instead of thru the vents.

That's how it was explained to me anyways, all I know is it makes a world of difference on my rig. Pat Goff I'm sure can give you a much more professional description of how it works though.

Mark

So, where does a walleye wacker wack walleye? Got any tips for us walleye wacker wannabees from Ky?

How many walleye can a walleye wacker wack if a walleye wacker could wack walleye?

On the PVC plugs... what Mark says is essentially it... they change the flow of water thru/around the hub to help increase bite/decrease slippage... removing one can dramatically change hole shot. I think they have little to do with top end perf, however?

There are also different sized plugs to you can rwally fine tune the amount of ventilation you get. The PVS is a really good system.

Thanks thats good info. I am experimenting with props now. I have a 189 sport with 200 opti and it came with a 3 blade. Great speed at 70+ but cavitated at low speed on corners esp when pulling boards or tubes. It was a 23p so i went to a 4 blade 21p. Solved the cavitation but it is not enough pitch as i am rev limiting with throtle to go.

As for fishing I live in southern Ontario but have a place in Northern Ont. that we do most of our fishing from. Great fishing most of the time. Last week we pulled out 50 or so keeper size. No trophy size last week but we usually get 3to 4 big ones each year. I also do a few smallie tournaments up there as well, and one pike tournament.

Back