Prop help, again

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Rossi

Reaction score
I own a 2002 882, with the 150 xr6. It has the 3 blade 23 prop on it. I am looking to get a 4 blade for it. Is it worth it and what else should I look for when selecting a prop.

Steve i wouldnt bother wit hthe 4 blade on the 882, when i tried a 4 blade on mine it killed the holeshot totally. I would sent that 3 blade out and have it blueprinted. THe holeshot will be better, you will gain speed and also a ton of bite so it would slip in turns/rough water. It will cost you less $ too.

Steve if I had that 882 I'd put a Power Tech four blade on it. Run it to get a feel for the rpm numbers, then send it off to be balanced and blue printed. I'll be trying my Power Tech here as soon as the ice goes off. I've already had my 23p Tempest PLus balanced and blue printed by Mark Croxton off the BBC board. Mark is really good at what he does and will work with you to get your prop turning at max efficiency. (Very reasonably priced with excellent turn around time)

I had Mark add extra cup to my prop to give me more bow lift at wide open throttle. Like the 882's the Av's tend to be bow heavy. Hope this helps.

Depends on what you are trying to do. 4 blade props of the correct diameter and pitch, coupled with raising or lowering a motor can make all the difference in the world. Not trying to go against you Jim B, but I believe it all depends on the setup, prop size and pitch, and what you want it to do. Adding a 4 blade Renegade 23 pitch prop to my boat helped holeshot a lot. Adding a SE Sport 300 hydrofoil made it literally "jump" out of the water, and stay on plane better at slower speeds. However, a balanced and blueprinted 3 blade Raker 24 pitch prop coupled with a 6 inch jackplate set at the correct height made my head snap back at takeoff, and made my 18 footer scream at top end. It's all in what you are trying to do. Remember - you don't have to stick with factory props now-adays. Prop shops can re-hub competitors props to fit your engine. The posibilities are endless. I learned a lot about props from Bass and Walleye Boats magazine - one of the only boating magazines I subscribe to - very informative.

Back