Problem with Swing Tongue

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Rose

Reaction score
I have a tandem axle by Tracker (Trailstar) that carries a 19' Targa. Over the years, the pin that secures the swing part of the tongue with the rest of the trailer has been increasingly hard to put in and take out. When the tongue is in the "swung away" position, the pin with slide right in om both parts with no problems. It's another matter altogether in the attached, ready to tow position. It's now to the point where I have to hammer the pin in, and hammer it out. Tracker referred me to the local dealer, and when I spoke to her about the issue, she seemed confused, saying I need a new actuator.. She sounded busy, and her attention appeared to be elsewhere. What do you think? Have you heard of this issue before?

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    131.4 KB
I have a tandem axle by Tracker (Trailstar) that carries a 19' Targa. Over the years, the pin that secures the swing part of the tongue with the rest of the trailer has been increasingly hard to put in and take out. When the tongue is in the "swung away" position, the pin with slide right in om both parts with no problems. It's another matter altogether in the attached, ready to tow position. It's now to the point where I have to hammer the pin in, and hammer it out. Tracker referred me to the local dealer, and when I spoke to her about the issue, she seemed confused, saying I need a new actuator.. She sounded busy, and her attention appeared to be elsewhere. What do you think? Have you heard of this issue before?
I would make sure you aren’t pinching off any wires when you put it the tow position. That could cause the holes to misalign just enough to make it difficult to insert and pull the pin.

How old is the trailer? Did the tongue get bumped at some point in time? Making sure it’s not the wires. Line up the holes , take a flashlight and look from top down and look from bottom up to see how far off the holes are. Before all this check and see if the pin is perfectly straight.

How old is the trailer? Did the tongue get bumped at some point in time? Making sure it’s not the wires. Line up the holes , take a flashlight and look from top down and look from bottom up to see how far off the holes are. Before all this check and see if the pin is perfectly straight.

Tie wrap all wires together then Swing it back into the tow position install the pin then remove the swing bolt and check it for where marks if there is something wrong with the bolt replace it with new. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. Trailer is a 2016 and never been "bumped" AFAIK. This didn't happen overnight. It's gotten progressivelvy worse over the years. At first, WD 40 helped quite a bit, but it's not a cure all, by any means. Wires are out of the way, and are no hinderance. I will try the Swing bolt in another couple weeks when I get back to where the boat "lives". (It's in so. Utah, and I'm in Las Vegas) Someone suggested I try cleaning the bushings. Do you know if they're removable?

Thanks for the replies. Trailer is a 2016 and never been "bumped" AFAIK. This didn't happen overnight. It's gotten progressivelvy worse over the years. At first, WD 40 helped quite a bit, but it's not a cure all, by any means. Wires are out of the way, and are no hinderance. I will try the Swing bolt in another couple weeks when I get back to where the boat "lives". (It's in so. Utah, and I'm in Las Vegas) Someone suggested I try cleaning the bushings. Do you know if they're removable?
If there is bushings they will be removable, but if the bolt has ware marks check bushings. Maybe there is just corrosion wear the bolt goes so clean with some sand paper and put a little marine grease on the bolt and don’t torque it to tight. Hope this helps.

Ken.

If there is bushings they will be removable, but if the bolt has ware marks check bushings. Maybe there is just corrosion wear the bolt goes so clean with some sand paper and put a little marine grease on the bolt and don’t torque it to tight. Hope this helps.

Ken.
Thank you! I will give that a try when I get back up there.

You will need to lift on the front tongue piece a bit as you insert and pull the pin. Mine has always been somewhat difficult to change if you don't do this.

when you pull the nut/bolt, IF it has a nylon insert type locknut, those are meant to be a "once and done" nut, replace it. If it has a center lock type nut, "C nut", those are reusable. Never reuse a nylon insert nut in a "must work" situation.

I switched mine to swing right rather than left ... problem solved!

Don't use wd40, it evaporates. Clean the hitchpin, clean out the hole with a small bottle brush using parts cleaner and use lithium grease on pin. If the small still seems too big for a deformed hole it goes in smaller ones are available at Tractor Supply in various lengths and diameters.

I took my swing away apart last weekend to remove rust and repaint, what I have noticed is wear on the bottom plate allowing the alignment to be off a tad. yours might be worst. a thin washer might be needed to realign the set up.

Back