Polaris Waverunners

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Ok I know you all love to hate jet skis and waverunners but I am looking into getting a used one for entertaining guests this summer. I owned a Yamaha years ago before they got popular. From what I remember, Polaris used to have the best quality and performance. I heard SeaDoo has gone down the tubes. Any opinions on which brand is most reliable? I don't want to spend a ton of money. Probably under $5000.

Teri - You are right about the SeaDoo's. Nice package, good price, but always in the shop.

I have ridden both the Yamaha's (Waverunner 1200cc) and the Polaris. I find that the Yamaha (which I own) is a better unit and I have had zero problems with it in nearly four years. However, the Polaris is also a good unit but I find that it is a little more unstable than the Yamaha. For one rider it is OK but if you put more than one on board it becomes a little touchy. The nice thing about the Polaris is that it has a neutral where the Yamaha only has forward or reverse. Never caused a problem but some people like the concept of putting a "ski" in neutral so there is NO movement at all.

IMHO I would try and find a Yamaha Waverunner in at least the 800 cc version.

Good luck

Honda has a 4-stroke now. I can tell you nothing about them, but that they're Honda.

For the record, we have NOTHING against jet skis. It's their drivers we hate :)

Yeah, but the Ranger one will be all looks and no quality, plus the ride will kill your back... ;-)

Rich D

and "no hassle" service,...........but it would never need service anyway!!! BBWWaahh!!!!

i used to have artic cat tigersharks. they were the best hull on the market and then they stoped making them.

the seedoo is a good machine but they are prone to have problems.and are pricey

the polaris is a very wet ride, and is also very tippy.

the new hull they came out with 2/3 yrs ago is improved but not the best on the market. personally i would not own one.

yammaha is very nice but on the heavy side. the 770 is a bit combersom and not all that great if you like to get out there and rip it up. the 1200 is a rocket, but very heavy and they tend to porpus a lot.

the honda is a super hull, very close in design to the old tigershark. my neighbor has one and loves it. i have not had the chance to run one of these yet. (i have run all the machines above) it may be a little more than you looking to spend, but you will get a superior machine that is a four stroke. no plugs to fowl.

honda has been working on low end thrust performance. so it should get out of the hole just fine.

Good luck with what ever one you pick.

GregD

Teri, I've had two Polaris models. A '95 SL750 (2 seater) and a currently a 2000 Virage (3 seater).

The two seater was tippy and hard riding, but you could do some awesome and scary things on it.

The Virage is a great general purpose machine. It has a 95hp 700cc 2 cylinder carb motor that has enough low end grunt to get a skier out of the whole with two riders aboard. Top speed with one aboard is about 50mph. The hull is great. Easy on the butt, but still very maneuvarable for a medium size jetski. Most people into Jetskis consider the Virage hulls the best compromise between cruising comfort and sporty performance.

If you need more HP, there are Virage TX (carb) and TXI (fuel injected) models that put out 135hp. Those will peel your face back at 60+ mph.

I really like Polaris quality, and I think the Virage is the best all around ski going for an average user. They can be had for around $4000 used in good condition.

Whatever you get, make sure you get it checked out by a local mechanic. Jetskis operate right on the bleeding edge at close to 7000rpm. One short ride without oil or a blocked cooling passage will cook a cylinder.

Thanks, Rich for the info on Polaris (and everyone else). There is a 2000 Virage TX on EBay but I don't know what the reserve price is. I asked several questions but the lady doesn't know much. Our boat show is mid February so I may snoop around there for one.

Not sure what day I am going. It's so freakin' crowded during the weekend that I usually go during the week. At least you get waited on then if you have questions and I hate bumping into to all those beer bellies. (HA!)

I have heard of Killbuck. I actually talked to him when I was boat shopping. If I remember right, an older guy and his wife own that and he fishes alot of tournaments. Maybe that's not right but I think so. I will let you know what day I am going.

Back