Plasti-Dip

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Wofford

Reaction score
Been seeing a lot of talk about this product (Plasti-Dip) that you can pick up at Lowes or Home Depot. People are using it for everything on their trucks (wheels, bumpers, etc.) Just curious if anyone on here has used it and in what applications.

Plasti-Dip, unless it's changed in recent years, is pretty much "junk". It was originally designed to dip the handles of tools in to get that nice rubbery plastic grip on them, like some of the nicer tools have from the factory. I dipped two pairs of pliers in that junk as per the directions. Several coats. The first time I got oil anywhere around the new handles (as in... "I used the tools for what they were designed for" :lol: ), they turned to a slimy mess that got black residue all over my hands. I couldn't grip them at all and ended up pulling it off of both pairs.

You couldn't get me to use that stuff on my tools ever again, much less "wheels, bumpers, etc..."

Just my opinion, but I'd steer clear of the stuff. I'm suprised it's still on the market, as I've never had anyone I know talk good about the stuff.

All the best,

Glenn

Mice got into my deck boat last year and chewed on the rubber coated tilt switch on the bow that raises and lowers the big motor. Rather than try to find a new rubber switch cover, I used plasticote. Has held up well for two years so far. I've also dipped the ends of a pair of sunglasses when the rubber fell off. Worked well there (five years - same pair).

I've seen some good results on various items, but Glenn brings up a great point on it's interaction with other solutions. So far, I give it a thumbs up. ;)

A little tip for using Plasti-Dip. I use it to color 1.5 oz tungsten punching weights. They can't be powder coated like lead and I don't like having silver colored weights. So I put a wire down the hole to hold the weight and dip it. The color comes out very black and it's just tacky enough it holds some scent. When punching we lube up our baits real good to 1) get through the grass better, 2) attract fish under the mats, 3) make them hold on longer. The weight seems to hold Mega-Strike gel longer than plain tungsten.

NoCAL

They sell this stuff in an aerosol can now...that is the application i have been hearing about.

Back