Pittsburgh 3 rivers bad fishing

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Lang

Reaction score
Anyone from pittsburgh having as bad a year as I am fishing the rivers? I think it is because of all the rain. Its hard to find them. Is there anyone that has had any success on artificial patterns for bass? If so would you please share how.

Thanks, Brett

Brett:

A little farther down the Ohio River near Cincinnati the fishing has not been that good either. The best luck has been around log jams with a spinnerbait. But overall, this has been a slow year (again.) We have had a lot of flooding, muddy water, and rainy weather. The bass just turn off. We might have a good Fall because the shad are schooling in the creeks.

Sorry I couldn't help.

Da Bear

Bear!!!!!!! Dang!!!!!! Where have you been???????

How is your heart?

Not too much. I have been picking some up scattered on the shores. Generally go to my stand by on the river, a chrome/blue crank.

Right now looking forward to the fall walleye bite.

Rich D

I'm a River Rat but across the state from ya. Fish the greater Philly/Allentown area. Have been dealing with the same problems you are as far as water quality. From mid July until now has been pretty bad. I'll fish as long as the ramp and dock is not flooded over. When it receeds and all I have to do is deal with stained water I've been able to catch fish. I don't like it to look like chocolate milk but, would rather have it with a variation of a stain than gin clear.

All I use is artificial lures for bass fishing. If you are not using crankbaits or spinnerbaits start throwing them. They have alot of vibration. Fish them tight to cover on the banks. Learn what and where the current breaks are. Could be as small as boulder or two, pipe, old piling, log jam or a point that's sticking out. You just have to know where they are and try to fish the backside of them. When the water level drops and starts to clear up, this is a good time to do some homework and make a mental note of where they are. Mark them up in a note pad, draw pictures for yourself and leave them in the boat. When the water gets high and stained they be impossible to see.

Try not to get discouraged. The rainfall amounts have really sucked and not helped. Just try to fish around the weather we are dealt with. And continue to fish hard. This is what I do keep positive and focused. When water is stained heavily I make a complete retrieve of my lure back to the boat, they have a tendency to follow the noise with lesser visibility.

Hope this helps. I believe what I'm telling you. Others might not.

Staci:

The music world has kept me too busy for the past 14 months. I finally am back to catching up with life. I have tried to keep an eye on you guys but I wasn't fishing much so I didn't have a lot to say. I am back in the groove now and catching fish, so I feel I have something to flap my jaws about. The old "ticker" is great. Life is good. Thanks for asking you're a good guy.

Da Bear

Fishing down river near Wheeling has been terrible as well. Had a 20 boat tourney and not one keeper brought in. These aren't exactly terrible fishermen either. Another tough year on the river.

Back