OT: recreational shooting

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stern

Reaction score
Last week, I went with my brother-in-law to the local indoor range. I had never visited this gun shop before; it was very cool. They had all kinds of vintage stuff, Springfield, Garrand, Enfields, etc. You can rent fully automatic weapons for use on the range (for spraying paper targets with $25 worth of ammo in about 3 seconds). Uzi, Thompson, MP-5, among others.

So, we fired off a bunch of 9mm (Browing semi-auto pistol) and .22 LR (Ruger semi-auto rifle) at the range, and I did far better than I thought I would. At ten to twelve yards, I was getting fairly good groups with the 9mm, most in the black, a few in the orange on a 25 foot pistol target. Considering this was only my second time firing a handgun, the last time being ten years ago, I was pretty satisfied.

So, I was thinking I may start visiting the range more regularly, to see how proficient I can get. I didn't like the kick of the 9mm, and it felt too big for my hand (the Browing was a full size model, similar to the size of a Colt 1911 .45).

The shop has a wide variety of rentals available, in all of the popular calibers. I was thinking of trying a Bersa .380 semi-auto model. I know we have a lot of experienced shooters on the board, and I was wondering what size round folks like to shoot for comfortable target practice?

Man oh man, you've done it now! I'll bet you've found a hobby you keep for a lifetime. I'm a little biased, but I think you're right on track with the .380 Bersa. I received a great deal on two sequencially serialed nickle plate Bersa .380's and I love them. (I carry them in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick twin under-arm holster. Call me "Chunk Norris"! LOL!) You'll appreciate the reduced recoil and the savings on ammo giving you more plinking time without fatigue and much less of a bite in the wallet.

It was sure nice to see you the other day! The diet has really paid off. If you're still on it, why don't you go ahead and lose some for me! LOL!!! Keep on plinking!

Try a Glock 19. It is a 9mm but is compact in size. My wife really likes the feel of it while I prefer the larger Glock 34. WARNING: you can get hooked on shooting at the range :).

Personally, I prefer the smaller grips like the 1991/1911 Colt. You do give up round capacity with those though. As far as the round: 9mm is what I shoot most often. I also like 10mm and .40cal rounds for target practice. Try them all.

Cheapest shooting is .22lr like with a conversion kit on a 1991 (one of my favorite ways to target shoot)

Rich:

Here is a piece of advice I was given when I first started out in recreational pistol shooting. I had bought a Beretta 92FS 9mm handgun and was visiting the range, on average, twice a month.

The owner of the range told me that, for proficiency, it would be good to buy a .22 auto since a brick of bullets costs far less than a box of 9mm rounds. The kick is minimal and you have to use the same amount of grip and finger control on a .22 as you would on a 9mm, .380 or .45 pistol to hit your target.

Later on, you can upsize to a bigger pistol.

For me, when I go target shooting, I take along five pistols. My absolute FAVORITE to shoot is my Beretta Centurian Border Marshall .40. It shoots like butter and the weight of the slide absorbs a lot of the kick. It's very easy to shoot, but you have to have big hands to control it.

The others are a Colt Gold Cup Mark IV .45 auto; a Ruger SP-101 5-shot .357 (which will also shoot .38 loads with less kick; nice since the barrel is only 2 inches long); my wifes Walther PPK/S .380; and a Smith & Wesson 686 6-shot .357 with a 4-inch barrel. The revolvers are nice to shoot as an alternative to the autos.

I'm thinking about getting a .22 conversion kit for the .45, just so I have the choice of burning a few hundred rounds for less cash.

Seriously, think about a .22 auto (Ruger, Smith & Wesson,...) if all you're going to use it for is target practice.

Makes more since to start with a .22 pistol or semi-auto than anything larger if it is to be a hobby and not for home defense. even .22 mag cause unless you reload your own ammo the cost of shell will enter into the game and take the fun out of it.

BF

There are some real nice .22 target pistols out there.

I too agree with the Bersa .380. I have a Bresa model 383 that bought 11 years ago and have shot it quiet often and haven't had any problems. At the time they were fairly inexpensive. My cousin bought a Browning .380 at the same time. Nice gun, but a lot more money. I aslo have a Glock .40 sub compact which is my favorite hand gun, but is more expensive than a Bersa. Good luck with what ever you get.

Rob L

evening from Alabama!!!!

Rich,

One of the better ways to learn pistol marksmanship fundamantals is the .22. Sometimes, if you learn on a larger caliber pistol, the recoil hides any mistakes you may be making. Plus like the others have said, a brick of .22 is cheaper to buy!!

I own a 9mm, .40, .45 in various manufacturers. For me, the most fun to shoot is the .40. It is a Springfield Armory pistol, and it really fits my hands and is a joy to shoot. I have fairly small hands and it fits a bit better then my Glock. I do like the Glock for a PDW, as it is pretty easy to pick up and go.

Hope that this helps out!!!!!

Carlos

Ruger Mark II

Semi-auto

5 1/2" bull barrel

Stainless is VERY nice!

You'll never find a more fun, economical, practical and quite accurate handgun!

Yes on the ruger mark2. Also get a total of 5 clips (holds a box of 50), then after you get used to the gun , get a trigger job done on it. And find someone to load them clips because once you start its hard to quit. I've had mine for years.

Ruger makes/sells a .22 auto with a polymer frame/grip that feels like a govt model colt 45 if you get it with the 4 1/2" bull barrel it is a very good trainer for the colt 1911.

.22 mag, Automag II, a downsized version of the .44 mag in 1 of the Dirty Harry movies.. Feel lucky Punk.

BF

There is a much larger pic in my library if you want more detail.
DSC00015.JPE

Thanks for the comments, all. I'll try a few of the rentals at the shop and see how they feel.

Dan, good to see you, too. Twin Bersa .380s in holsters? Forget Chuck Norris! I think it's more like Bond. James Bond.

Nice, quiet, calm, mild-mannered Rich Stern..........

I think the NTOWS is going to have another Sister Website!

Maybe we should have a contest to name it.....

The OK Corral

Guns 'r Us

Argh! Argh! Argh!

Camp Neeley

Guns N' Roses (to attract more women to the site)

A good High quality 22 auto with adjustable sights, or if you want to spend the money get a 9mm or .40 cal with the 22 conversion kit. Try to Shoot whatever you want at the gun range to make sure of the fit, trigger squeeze, and operation. Don't forget to have someone give you a GOOD comprehensive lesson on cleaning and maintence. Most states require you carry your handguns in a locked box check the laws.

I shoot 22 rimfire, 380, 9mm, .357, 38 S&W, 38 special .40 cal S&W my favorite. 44magnum and 45ACP in handguns and reload all but the 22. I also have a .177 indoor pellet range. I have a never ending supply of free brass. It's a great hobby, Good luck

fatrap