Opinions needed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
I have decided to purchase a new trolling motor. I believe I want a Minn Kota. I have a motor guide now, starting to have problems with it. It is by no means new, I believe 1995. It is a 24 volt, and foot controled. Which 24 volt Minn Kota, foot controlled do you use??? How do you like it??? Thanks for replies.

Bubby:)

Forgot to add, I have a 16ft. boat. I want one in the 55lb. thrust range.

Minn Kota Maxxum Pro 80 US. Love it. It's been great, and the only thing I'd consider replacing it with is another Maxxum Pro 80 US with the newer foot pedal... or maybe a Maxxum Pro 101 US. But mine is great as is - I don't see a need to replace it any time in the near future.

All the best,

Glenn

Hey Bubby,

I have heard good and solid opinions on both Motor Guide and Minn Kota on this board from time to time, whenever the question comes up. I can't really help because I have always had Motor Guide (except for one Pflueger) since the early 70's when I Bought one of the white Super Motor Guides with the Orange Pointer on the top.:rolleyes:

What I am wondering about right now though is why you are giving thought to changing brand when you say you now have a Motor Guide that's lasted you for 13 years and is just now starting to have problems?:huh:

Uncle Billy

Bubby,

Like Glenn i have a Maxxum Pro 80 US on the new boat. My 882 that had until recently also had a Msxxum Pro 80. Overall the Maxxum line is a very good line of trolling motors. Like Glenn i wont run anything but a Maxxum. Iknow one guy that has one of the edge motors and he likes his a lot. The mount on the maxxum is much beefier.

The only thing is if your looking for a 55# those are 12v motors not 24. To get 24v i think the 70# is where they start. I highly recommend that if you do buy a new get one that has the maximizer and variable speed. It will do much better on batteries as the day wears on and the variable speed is really the cats meow.

Thanks Everyone. Uncle Billy, I too have heard good and bad about both. However, some of my buddies really like the Minn Kota. I did have good service with my motor guide. Although when I get into the grass, they leave me behind with the Kota motors.

Bubby:)

Go with the MK.....they are awesome,....I switched a few years ago and will never go back to MG.......MK's are quieter, deffinitely better in the grass and weeds and undeniably, a LOT more reliable!! ;)

I agree, the Minnkota is excellent in weeds. I was the first guy with a maxxum in my club like 10 years ago and every guy was amazed that i could go in stuff they couldnt dream of with thier MG's or OMC's.

I also agree with Mac on the reliability. I know everyone's experience is different but i have never been able to keep a motorguide together for more then a month at a time. I dont know if its because i beat on them or what but i have yet to be able to break a minnkota.

I have had both MG and MK. I have a MK Maxxum 101 (bow mount hand control) and love it. It has been on the boat for six years and NEVER a problem. Even with the 36 Volt system I only replaced the three trolling batteries this year. That says something about the troller as well as the batteries.

Latest posts

Back