Opinions about 96 884 Savage TF...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Couch

Reaction score
I posted a question about the 150 efi motor it came with the other day and received some helpful advice and seen another post along this same line and thought I'd do the same before I delve too deep into this project. Purchased this, my first bass boat as a repo and after fixing all the small squawks (live well valve & switch, powerless ff, broke 12v powerplug, etc..) on the boat I started working on the trailer last night and found the surge brake tongue has been welded so the brakes are pointless. My questions are, is this boat year/model considered one of the better years,average, or a dog and how difficult would it be to either fix the surge brakes or find a wrecked trailer and salvage just the swing-away tongue? The boat seems solid (hull solid w/no damage, motor starts/runs good) but have a fella that wants to trade a 2000 1752 Tracker Grizzly w/60 merc even. Should I fix the trailer and keep the boat or trade? Sorry so long...

Chris

I have a 97 884 Savage. Have had it for 10 years now. Great Hull. Matched with my Nitro series 150 EFI Mercury and a 25p Trophy Prop and a few more touch-ups with the Motor (Dealer set it up) , It runs around 72 gps. Great room for all your stuff in that boat. You cant go wrong with the boat. Now, for the Trailer. I cant believe they did that to the Surge brakes. Makes no sense. Even though thats a 18 footer, it is heavy. Add all your gear, Gas, Batts, you looking at a 1,600 lbs missle w/o Brakes behind you. Needs to be fixed or replaced. I am partial to the Ram Hulls and will be keeping mine. Cant go wrong with that Boat.

Max <><

I had a 98 and loved it. Sold it two years ago and the guy who has it now, loves it as much as I did. Great boat.

Thanks for the feedback. Went out this past weekend for a first full day of fishing with this boat along with my oldest son and despite whatever feedback I received decided I was keeping this boat! Had great experience with it and decided we (my boys and I) are gonna learn to be better bass/crappie fishermen and not so much catfishing. Thanks again, Chris.

Back