On board battery chargeras

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Hutson

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a questions about on-board chargers. I have the factory guest unit on my P/T 185. I have never owned a boat with a on board charger. I read in the instructions that the unit automatically goes to a 1.5 maintenance charge once the battery is fully charged. Now the question, Do you leave it plugged in and on the 1.5 at all times?? Thanks for the help. What a great site!

Steve

Steve,

If you search the web site here on Battery Chargers, you will find a couple of diffrent trains of thought. One is leave plugged in all the time (I do this)

Other is to unplug as there may be a charger malfunction or something like that and I think if this is used they plug it in once a week or so.

Sue D from Guest will probally chime in here with a good idea later on!!!

Carlos

The only thing I will hopefully ever have to remember about on-board chargers is: Guest and Sue D. (and not in that order)

Sue has a customer for life!!!

I would leave it plugged in if it's a Guest or in a carport.

I have been running DualPro XL chargers in my past few boats. never had a problem with them, when not fishing I leave them plugged 100% of the time. I remember reading an artical years ago about keeping batteries fully charged all the time will increase life. I think it was in Bassmaster's.

Hi Steve,

The charger will go down to a very low maintainenece mode once the battery is fully charged so you can leave it plugged in. This way your batteries will be kept fully charged all winter so you are ready to go in the Spring.

Sue D.

Back