off to the dealer - welcome to the dark side

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Yeaton

Reaction score
I got the "ok" from the boss today for the purchase of a new boat. I had been spending some time looking for a new truck (baby seat issue), but I am certainly not spending $30K for a double cab truck.

Anyway - I'd rather have a new boat (love my Tundra and I'm not ready to give it up) and it's a toss up between 3. The Avalanche, 482, or 591.

The Avalanche is the priciest, and I'm still on a "budget", so that one is probably eliminated right away.

The 482 nad 591 ahve engine price savings going on till 3/31 - so I'm looking at making the switch to the darkside (damn you Trep!)

I'm going tomorrow to sit in both and get more info. :D

Bruce - You sell the TV18 yet or trading it?

OK single or dual console on the new boat? Gotta go Opti like you did on the TV18, the 4 stroke's won't do you much good in low end pull, and the Verado I think is still to heavy/costly for the 18ft boats.

MAN they come and they go, some to the dark side and some back again!!! I'd LOVE an Avalanche but you are right for less $$ you can get the 591 or a REALY loaded 482 with a 150 Opti!!

The 591 is a sweet rig, although i wish they had designed that front & center locker on both to go back another foot. Still, if thats my only grudge thats pretty darn good. Bass & Walleye boats magazine did a feature story this month on the 591, and were impressed enough to feature it exclusively on the front cover. W/ the 150 opti the boat toes up to 60 mph but doesn't quite cross the line -- 59.x mph. Still, not bad for a 18'7" boat with a 150; I had a 18' nitro with a 150 EFI that ran under that. AND, this boat is rated for a 200--- i've heard that it will push into the mid-70's with a 200, which sounds like a TON of fun to me (my tournament friends call me speed racer)....

Anyways, I'd look seriously at the 591, I think it is a great boat. And I'd definitely pick up the latest edition of Bass & Walleye boats magazine.

david

I have yet to see any of these boats in person, so it's going to be a tough choice between the 3.

Trep - I'm trading the TV18 (or atleast going to try). I'm going to keep my jackplate and move it to the new boat, keep my new Guest charger and Stealth charger as well.

Without looking at any of the boats I'm leaning towards the 482. It's close to the 882 model size but has the upgrades I've been waiting for. If the Avalanche falls in the budget lines, that's the boat I'll go for. But, I haven't made it to the dealer yet, so who knows what can happen :D

This will be my 3rd boat and 4th major purchase from my dealer, I'm hoping everything goes as smooth as butter :cool:

Back from the dealer.

I got to look at all 3 boats, here are my opinions-

Avalanche - huge boat! This is actually the first time I've "seen" it in person. Very nice and dwarfs my TV18 in all aspects. But, as much as I would like to stay with alum., I'm not paying that type of money for a 60 mph boat (150 Opti equipped).

482 - There were different publications about a 90" beam or an 86", it's an 86" beam. That turned me of right away. Although an improvement over the NX750 as far as layout and upgrades, that's all it is... an upgraded 750. Nice boat, but just not for my needs. If it was a 90" beam, things may be different.

591 - Incredible! Nice wide decks, plenty of room to walk around. Rod lockers are huge and the two back storage spaces hold plenty of 3700 style boxes. This boat is going to be a big seller!

I need to bring my boat in for them to look at and the 591 will be my choice if everything works out.

Bruce - Single or Dual? If its the 591, how much HP are you gonna put on her? at 18'7" i'd say you'd want at least the 175 Opti, but MAN a 200 would FLY that boat!!

As much as I'd like to put the 200 on it, it's not in the budget. A 150 will bring it to the low 60's mark, which is 10+ mph faster than my boat now.

I'm taking the motor into great consideration as being part of my decision. I've learned from the past that maxxing out the HP is a must, and it will be a factor.

Trep - I can't make a decision on too much yet. More important things need to be added, like brakes. It's a much bigger and heavier boat than the TV18, and brakes are a must. Too many factors are questionable. I don't know what they are going to give me on trade, or how much we can afford to put down. I got a ballpark on payments and a good look at the boat, that was my first step.

I have a 19' Nitro with a 150 on the back. Hydraulic jack plate is cheaper than the motor upgrade, and I get low 60's out of her with a full load (single console). Good luck!

TJ

Bruce - That would be a tough call:

17'9" boat (86" beam) Max HP 150 with a 150hp at $20,995

vs.

18'7" (94" beam) Max HP 200 with a 150hp at $22,995.

Both should run about the same speed in the low 60's (according to Nitro site).

On the resale, the biggest concern on my part would be "how long do you plan to keep this one??" My 175 with a 40Merc (max HP at 75) sold in less then 2 weeks with mulitple offers. So buy the boat YOU want, that runs they way YOU want, and unless you plan or NEED sell it in a year or 2.

I don't agree with that trep, thats factory rigged, put a good JP and prop it and it'll run close to 70, heck the 188 champs with a 200 run near 70, and thats a much beefier boat. Plus, I

d take a 94 beam over a little 86 anyday..........apples to apples, go with the 200 and a manual JP, you will never see the performance all around in a under powered boat, just think TJ, with that HYD plate and a 200 on yours you would be 70

Knowing what I know now, I'd max out if possible. BUT if it's too much $$, a jack plate helps. (Mine's only rated for a 175:()

TJ

Mike - I didn't say anything about JP, tuned props or any additional rigging, just that:

Both should run about the same speed in the low 60's (according to Nitro site).

Honestly I don't have a dog in this game, just comparing readily available stats. And from Bruce's prior posts that "As much as I'd like to put the 200 on it, it's not in the budget.", so if he's considering the 482 with a max'd 150 vs. 591 with a 150 (at 75% of max hp), IF the Nitro site is accurate that both rigs with a 150 will run similar speeds, so he might want to take that into consideration, i.e. buying the 482 maxed HP.

But yes, a 10 inch wider beam can make a big difference too. Its all in what he wants, needs and can afford.

Gotcha Trep, thing was for me, my first price on the 189 was with a 150, goin to a 200 and a JP, didn't turn my MONTHLY payment but like 25 bucks. I seriously would consider optional payment plans, that you can payoff early and reep the tax benefit.

Mike, how about sharing those tax secrets on how to get a tax benefit on financing a boat, my tax man missed that one.

consider optional payment plans, that you can payoff early and reep the tax benefit

Mike - I try not to finance boats or recreational toys, just my thing. Unless I know I can pay it off in say 12 or max 24 months. I assume on Tax Bene's you're talking about a HELOC and taking the interest off your itemized deductions? Thats a good idea if you are completly financialy secure in your job and have sufficient $ in the bank to list 6 months if you lost a job. My problem with using Home lines for cars/boats and such is the IFs. If you loose your job and can't make payments you LOOSe your house.

Just my view, i know its not others, not preaching, but thats why I bought the Tracker and a used Nitro.

You got it Trep, I take a 10 or 15 year loan, pay it off in 2 years or less,(better in like 15 months) take off the interest, an walla! Its kinda the same principal with companys, leasing a building as opposed to buyin it and owning it, anyway thats another side........make sure your bank doesn't make you pay a penalty on pay-offs first. My champ, I took a Personal loan, at a lower interest rate istead of a boat loan, that was cool too

Back